Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » ILaunchManager: plans to expose importConfigurations() ?
ILaunchManager: plans to expose importConfigurations() ? [message #1783102] Wed, 07 March 2018 23:56 Go to next message
Christian Sl is currently offline Christian SlFriend
Hi,

asking because I wanted to implement an Oomph Setup Task which could import .launch Files. Then I realized that the Import Wizard casts the retrieved ILaunchManager instance to the concrete LaunchManager class and calls the public method (which is not exposed in the interface). I also got the warning in my code that this is discouraged.

- Are there any plans to add this method to the official API?
- In case not, is this method stable enough to use the same hack in the Oomph Task?

Thanks!
Re: ILaunchManager: plans to expose importConfigurations() ? [message #1783112 is a reply to message #1783102] Thu, 08 March 2018 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
This is the general problem we faced when developing Oomph. Many important utilities are not accessible via officially supported APIs but rather through internals that are subject to arbitrary change. In the best case, these utilities are available as public methods in the internals, as in this case, but even then, they are subject to arbitrary change. Certainly to develop Oomph itself we could not wait for each thing we needed "today" to be evolved into public API "eventually"I; we'd likely still be waiting today because this type of evolution (exposing more useful implementation details) is not the focus of the development teams involved. I would suggest opening a Bugzilla with the request to provide public API for importing launch configurations, and then, rather than waiting, use the internal class to implement what you want; you could of course use reflection as well, but then you won't find out something is broken until runtime.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: ILaunchManager: plans to expose importConfigurations() ? [message #1783241 is a reply to message #1783112] Fri, 09 March 2018 13:47 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
If you really want it to happen, put up a patch to Gerrit.

But you'll still need to use the reflective approach for supporting previous releases.

Brian.
Previous Topic:Delete .metadata while running headless exe
Next Topic:Fuzzy letters, small icons
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:30:29 GMT 2024