Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Problem with a customized palette for deployment diagrams(I can not drop a palette's element into a diagram)
Problem with a customized palette for deployment diagrams [message #1782965] Mon, 05 March 2018 18:29 Go to next message
Felipe  Rivera is currently offline Felipe RiveraFriend
Hi,

Since I really need components (and maybe ports or other elements from components diagram) to be present in the palette for deployment diagrams, I decided to create a new architecture model (architecture context) that includes a customized version of the deployment palette.

For now, I added the component element to the customized palette, and it is shown when I create a new deployment diagram using my new architecture model. Nevertheless, I can not drop the component element into the diagram, but any other element in the palette can be dropped.

I've tried a lot of things: adding root rules, owner rules, and child rules to the diagram, but doing so has not proven to be successful.

I do not understand what am I missing when defining the architecture model or the palette.

Here is the definition of my architecture context:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<architecture:ArchitectureDomain xmi:version="2.0" xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:architecture="http://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/infra/core/architecture" xmlns:gmfdiagrepresentation="http://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/infra/gmfdiag/representation" xmi:id="_eWvgwB3WEei8D-BA5hafeQ" id="org.urano.mdt.deployment.architecture.context.domain" name="Extended Deployment" description="Architecture context for an extended version of the UML Deployment Diagram." icon="org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.deployment.CreateDeploymentDiagramCommand">
  <stakeholders xmi:id="_E1VtoB3XEei8D-BA5hafeQ" id="org.urano.mdt.deployment.architecture.context.domain.stakeholder" name="Deployer" description="A software system deployer." concerns="_wGh8QB3WEei8D-BA5hafeQ"/>
  <concerns xmi:id="_wGh8QB3WEei8D-BA5hafeQ" id="org.urano.mdt.deployment.architecture.context.domain.concern" name="Component-Based Software Deployment" description="Deployment of component-based software systems."/>
  <contexts xsi:type="architecture:ArchitectureDescriptionLanguage" xmi:id="_MIkjUB3aEei8D-BA5hafeQ" id="org.urano.mdt.deployment.architecture.context.domain.dl" name="UML 2.0" description="The UML 2.0 Metamodel." icon="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.architecture/icons/uml.gif" defaultViewpoints="_RYv_UB3hEei8D-BA5hafeQ" creationCommandClass="org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.common.commands.CreateUMLModelCommand">
    <viewpoints xmi:id="_RYv_UB3hEei8D-BA5hafeQ" id="org.urano.mdt.deployment.architecture.context.domain.dl.viewpoint" name="Deployment" description="A viewpoint allowing software deployment specification with UML." icon="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.architecture/icons/viewpoint.gif" concerns="_wGh8QB3WEei8D-BA5hafeQ" representationKinds="_4aMh8B3eEei8D-BA5hafeQ"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.emf/model/infra-emf.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.common/model/notation.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.gmfdiag.common/model/gmfdiag-common.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.nattable/model/nattable-tablecontents.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.nattable/model/nattable-tablecontext.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.nattable.common/model/nattable-common.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.controlmode/model/controlmode.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.services.edit/model/marker.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.infra.types.rulebased/model/rulebased.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.activity/model/activityDiagram.elementtypesconfigurations#_x8G0YGaNEeSyJIsxLao1Pw"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.clazz/model/classdiagram.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.communication/model/communicationdiagram.elementtypesconfigurations#_rWI4YHPzEeSnGJwaJWHCSg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.composite/model/compositediagram.elementtypesconfigurations#_tL86sLazEeSbnofizoRSMQ"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.interactionoverview/model/interactionOverviewDiagram.elementtypesconfigurations#_x8G0YGaNEeSyJIsxLao1Pw"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.statemachine/model/stateMachineDiagram.elementtypesconfigurations#_wYwtMMeDEeSwP_9Vn5UnWg"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.stereotype.edition/model/stereotype-edit.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.timing/model/timingdiagram-uml.elementtypesconfigurations#_BJMa0PyeEeWbo9Y7g2MLdw"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/uml.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/uml-containments.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/StandardProfile.elementtypesconfigurations#_jfoLkGT_EeSEqNuV3JpFCA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <elementTypes href="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types.ui/model/uml-advice.elementtypesconfigurations#_ScP1oFYCEeS0WsAAtVmToA"/>
    <representationKinds xsi:type="gmfdiagrepresentation:PapyrusDiagram" xmi:id="_4aMh8B3eEei8D-BA5hafeQ" id="org.urano.mdt.deployment.architecture.context.domain.dl.deployment.diagram.root.package" name="Extended Deployment Diagram" description="An extended version of the UML deployment diagram." icon="platform:/plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.deployment/icons/obj16/DeploymentDiagram.gif" concerns="_wGh8QB3WEei8D-BA5hafeQ" implementationID="PapyrusUMLDeploymentDiagram " customStyle="" creationCommandClass="org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.deployment.CreateDeploymentDiagramCommand">
      <modelRules xmi:id="_ARGokXDuEeWh-MssWmCB_A">
        <element href="http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/5.0.0/UML#//Package"/>
      </modelRules>
      <owningRules xmi:id="_ARGoknDuEeWh-MssWmCB_A">
        <element href="http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/5.0.0/UML#//Package"/>
      </owningRules>
      <childRules xmi:id="_ARGok3DuEeWh-MssWmCB_A"/>
      <palettes href="ExtendedDeploymentPalette.paletteconfiguration#/"/>
    </representationKinds>
    <metamodel href="http://www.eclipse.org/uml2/5.0.0/UML#/"/>
  </contexts>
</architecture:ArchitectureDomain>

And an excerpt of my palette (including component definition):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="ASCII"?>
<paletteconfiguration:PaletteConfiguration xmi:version="2.0" xmlns:xmi="http://www.omg.org/XMI" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance" xmlns:elementtypesconfigurations="http://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/infra/elementtypesconfigurations/1.2" xmlns:paletteconfiguration="http://www.eclipse.org/papyrus/diagram/paletteconfiguration/0.8" id="org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.diagram.deployment.extended.paletteconfiguration" label="Papyrus Extended Deployment Diagram  Palette" description="This is the palette of Papyrus Deployment Diagram ">
  <drawerConfigurations id="deployment.group.nodes" label="Nodes" description="Nodes">
    <icon pluginID="org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui" iconPath="/icons/group.gif"/>
    <ownedConfigurations xsi:type="paletteconfiguration:ToolConfiguration" id="deployment.tool.artifact" label="Artifact" description="Create new Artifact">
      <icon pluginID="org.eclipse.uml2.uml.edit" iconPath="/icons/full/obj16/Artifact.gif"/>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Artifact_Shape"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Artifact_Shape_CCN"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Artifact_Shape_ACN"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Artifact_Shape_CN"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
    </ownedConfigurations>
    <ownedConfigurations xsi:type="paletteconfiguration:ToolConfiguration" id="component.tool.component" label="Component" description="Create a Component">
      <icon pluginID="org.eclipse.uml2.uml.edit" iconPath="/icons/full/obj16/Component.gif"/>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Component_PackagedElementShape"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Component_PackagedElementShape_CCN"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.Component_PackagedElementShape_CN"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
    </ownedConfigurations>
      </drawerConfigurations>
  <drawerConfigurations id="deployment.group.links" label="Links" description="Links">
    <icon pluginID="org.eclipse.gmf.runtime.diagram.ui" iconPath="/icons/group.gif"/>
    <ownedConfigurations xsi:type="paletteconfiguration:ToolConfiguration" id="deployment.tool.communicationpath" label="CommunicationPath" description="" kind="ConnectionTool">
      <icon pluginID="org.eclipse.uml2.uml.edit" iconPath="/icons/full/obj16/CommunicationPath.gif"/>
      <elementDescriptors>
        <elementType xsi:type="elementtypesconfigurations:SpecializationTypeConfiguration" href="../../../../../../../../../../plugin/org.eclipse.papyrus.uml.service.types/model/umldi.elementtypesconfigurations#org.eclipse.papyrus.umldi.CommunicationPath_Edge"/>
      </elementDescriptors>
    </ownedConfigurations>
     </drawerConfigurations>
</paletteconfiguration:PaletteConfiguration>

I am working with Papyrus 3.2.0 on Eclipse 4.7.1a.

Thank you.
Re: Problem with a customized palette for deployment diagrams [message #1782977 is a reply to message #1782965] Tue, 06 March 2018 00:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
Hi Felipe,
the key to your problem is that you are trying to play a match of tennis using a baseball bat. Maybe possible who knows, but definitely not fun.

The key is that you are using the wrong palette in the wrong way.

I would recommend that you read up on deployment diagrams and how they are used. uml-diagrams.org is a great site and an excellent place to start. Good luck!
Re: Problem with a customized palette for deployment diagrams [message #1782985 is a reply to message #1782977] Tue, 06 March 2018 05:52 Go to previous message
Felipe  Rivera is currently offline Felipe RiveraFriend
Hi Richard,

I really appreciate the time you use for responding to my inquiries, but I have to say that I respectfully disagree with your view.

In my project, I need to model manifestation relationships between components and artifacts. Even the reference you mentioned states that: "Because manifestation diagrams are not defined by UML 2.4 specification, manifestation of components by artifacts could be shown using either component diagrams or deployment diagrams."

I know that one can add components to deployment diagrams in Papyrus through the model explorer, nevertheless, I would like to know whether I could customize the palette for dropping them from there. This is something similar to the Visual Paradigm's palette for deployment diagrams, where components (and even ports) can be dropped into a deployment diagram.

Unfortunately, I still not able to achieve it through the definition of a new architecture model and a customized palette in Papyrus.

Previous Topic:UML Profil to Plugin
Next Topic:"System Engineering" Architecture Context and Sub-modeling
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:56:05 GMT 2024