Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » Branch Creation Dialog choices(Which choice to pick : Merge or Rebase or none)
Branch Creation Dialog choices [message #1782698] Wed, 28 February 2018 02:11 Go to next message
Albert Kao is currently offline Albert KaoFriend
Our git workflow is
either FETCH & REBASE for local commits
or PULL.

A feature X for 2018Release2 branch is required (but not for the 2018Release1 branch).
However, the 2018Release2 branch is not created yet.
Therefore I think I will create a branch for feature X out of the current 2018Release1 branch.
I will do local commits to my feature X branch but will not push to the 2018Release1 branch.
I will transfer my codes from the feature X branch to the 2018Release2 branch when it is created.

The Branch Creation Dialog in Eclipse EGit has the following choices, which one should I choose? Why?
1. "Merge upstream commits into local branch": When pulling, the changes will be fetched from upstream and the remote tracking branch will be updated. Then the current local branch will be merged with the new changes. This is the default if the new branch is based on a remote tracking branch (but this default may be overridden by specific branch configuration)
2. "Rebase commits of local branch onto upstream": When pulling, new changes will be fetched from upstream and the remote tracking branch will be updated. Then the current local branch will be rebased onto the updated remote tracking branch
3. if you uncheck the option "Configure upstream for push and pull"): When pulling, no specific upstream configuration will be done for the new branch; however, if a default remote exists (a remote with name "origin", pull will try to use the configuration of this remote; this is the default if the new branch is not based on a remote tracking branch

[Updated on: Wed, 28 February 2018 02:18]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Branch Creation Dialog choices [message #1782720 is a reply to message #1782698] Wed, 28 February 2018 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
What is your question ?
Re: Branch Creation Dialog choices [message #1782721 is a reply to message #1782720] Wed, 28 February 2018 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Albert Kao is currently offline Albert KaoFriend
Matthias Sohn wrote on Wed, 28 February 2018 11:13
What is your question ?

The Branch Creation Dialog in Eclipse EGit has the following choices, which one should I choose? Why?
Re: Branch Creation Dialog choices [message #1782734 is a reply to message #1782721] Wed, 28 February 2018 15:34 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
Albert Kao wrote on Wed, 28 February 2018 12:10

I am sure in your organisation there is somebody who can answer this question such that it is correct for whatever workflows are used in your organisation.

Personally I'd use rebase and once the "2018Release2" upstream branch is created I'd rebase my feature branch onto that.

But it may depend on the workflows your organisation uses and how your clone is configured, so ask your project manager.
Previous Topic:Git user.name set to one thing, but staging view says something else
Next Topic:Use existing deploy key to raise PR
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 04:14:33 GMT 2024