Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Eclipse SmartHome » Data storage and visualization with SmartHome(What are the capabilities of Eclipse SmartHome in terms of data storage and visualization?)
Data storage and visualization with SmartHome [message #1782517] Sun, 25 February 2018 12:04 Go to next message
Saren Tasciyan is currently offline Saren TasciyanFriend
Hi,

I am practising with IoT concept as a hobbyist for now. For my first electronics project I hooked up ESP8266 with a couple of sensors and a relay as an actuator to start a ventilator when humidity is too high. In the future I would like to track temperature, humidity and pressure in all rooms, record the data and analyse later on. Also, I would like to extend with light automation and security (motion sensors, camera etc.). I was thinking of using Eclipse Leshan server, as OMA LwM2M seems to be promising technology but Leshan is just a library to connect and manage IoT devices. I will have to implement the data storage and visualization part. I came across many proprietary platforms based on cloud, which I prefer not to use because of privacy concerns.

Finally, I came across with Eclipse SmartHome, which seems to be the best so far! But, I can't find much about data storage and visualization, except the ChartProvider.

I was wondering, if I can visualize the data on the control panel? If yes, can I plot the data on an interactive chart? (with zoom in/out capabilities, display different time spans etc.)

Would you recommend other open source platforms for this purpose, which I can run on my Raspberry Pi 3?

Thanks!
Re: Data storage and visualization with SmartHome [message #1782529 is a reply to message #1782517] Mon, 26 February 2018 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Henning Treu is currently offline Henning TreuFriend
Hi Saren,

I suggest you have a look at the openHAB project. It is the OpenSource solution which is powered by Eclipse SmartHome. It provides sensor data storage (called persistence) and also chart visualisation among other very cool features. You can download ready-to-run images for the Raspberry Pi here. Furthermore you can reach out to the openHAB community in the forums here.
Eclipse SmartHome (ESH) is the base framework which provides the hardware abstraction layer and a lot of services to run a smart home, like rules engine, admin web frontend (Paper UI), basic user web frontend (Basic UI) and more. So if you plan to provide you own smart home solution based on ESH you are welcome to ask you questions here :-)

Cheers,
Henning
Re: Data storage and visualization with SmartHome [message #1782690 is a reply to message #1782529] Tue, 27 February 2018 22:43 Go to previous message
Saren Tasciyan is currently offline Saren TasciyanFriend
Hi Henning,

Thanks a lot, I think openHAB is right for me.

Cheers,
Saren
Previous Topic:IDE startup and HTTP 404 http://localhost:8080/
Next Topic:Override validateConfigurationParameters in binding to check config?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:01:06 GMT 2024