Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update(After updating and a new restart, Eclipse taking exceeding long time to start > 50 min)
Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1782397] Thu, 22 February 2018 16:45 Go to next message
Michael Murdock is currently offline Michael MurdockFriend
My current version of Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 release spawned off of JDT version download. Machine is Dell Precision 7510, 32 GB RAM, 250 MB SSD HD. Windows Pro 7 SP1 64-bit.

Since last update, Eclipse has stopped completing a restart. It takes more than 5 minutes till requesting which workspace to use, then waits forever (more than 50 minutes last attempt).

Reading through the ".log" file found in workspace/.Metadata, I find that some kind of Java exception occurs: "sun.security.validator.ValidatorException: PKIX path".

Two separate log files are attached.

I was reading a webpage on how to turn off wst.Validation. This didn't seem to help.
What I would like to do, is force an interrrupt on the full load process, to only do what was in original package.

I would like to know how to troubleshoot as much as possible. I am a software developer. Admittedly, I have many more years C/C++, C# than Java. I can read java code quite well. If I knew how to shut services off in config files, this would be helpful.

Any direction or coaching on how to proceed next would be helpful.
  • Attachment: .bak_0.log
    (Size: 0.98MB, Downloaded 101 times)
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 413.93KB, Downloaded 93 times)

A solution can not be found to a problem
with the same mind that created it.
- Albert Einstein

[Updated on: Thu, 22 February 2018 16:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1782417 is a reply to message #1782397] Thu, 22 February 2018 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I found at least four problems from dissecting the logfile ".log".

org.eclipse.ecf.discovery.slp.feature.source_1.0.0.v20170506-2012
org.eclipse.ecf.discovery.slp.feature_1.0.0.v20170506-2012
org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice.rosgi.feature.source_1.0.0.v20170110-1317
org.eclipse.ecf.remoteservice.rosgi.feature_1.0.0.v20170110-1317

The log kept looking for some ch.ethz.iks.slp and couldn't find it. It kept expecting a 472 and was reading a 257. (???)

I have given up on this version.

Even with Eclipse Oxygen SR2, my application stops completing startup after about
two weeks. In that time I have installed the bulk of the projects I might need. I have taken to heart the addition, I make to the eclipse.ini file as follows:

-vmargs
-Xms256m
-Xmx2048m <-- I change this from 1024 to 2048

Eventually you add some tools that will cause you some problem(s) that you won't know what it is or how to fix it.

I have an idea that I would REALLY like to see added to Photon version of Eclipse this summer when it comes out. This is if when you start that you are holding down a modifier key (such as the control key) that Eclipse program will only load the environment package it was download with. This is a known floor environment. Everything from there was added. Which modifier key could be configurable by the user. You could think of this as a "Safe-Mode".

That way, I could have read the logs and properly removed the offending packages.
Voila! My Eclipse would then load properly....

- Albert Einstein

[Updated on: Thu, 22 February 2018 21:07]

Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1782465 is a reply to message #1782417] Fri, 23 February 2018 17:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Something new to add which I think is UNIVERSAL for ALL Eclipse versions when USING WINDOWS!!!!

Namely that is the internal structure of file folders within the Eclipse product has a LOT of folders with LOOOOONG NAMES. Such that at the leaf of said file path to said file MAY be LONGER that ALLOWED for Windows. In particular 1024 characters for a file path is the limit for Windows7 (at least). Can not speak for later (would like to be at least a signed 16-bit value ...).

I have run into this many times on Windows when having a filesystem tree exceedingly long that can not Delete nor Find files and directories. Allocation of files/folders found will be off as well.

I do not know how Java opens such files. Though on Windows using Win32 services -> this could be problematic.

This may explain my issue when Adding content and things don't construct well. Because of Admin staff seem to Extremely Limit admin rights to my local drive:
the shortest path-length I can make for Eclipse Folder is {Windows System}

C:\Users\<username>\E

where E = eclipse folder

In my case that would be and initial 20 character deducted from 1024 so I can not have file within that would have a path length less than a 1004 characters.

Some packages I have downloaded have come close.

Can plugin developers at least be cognizant of this please.

Enough of my Rant for now...

- Albert Einstein

[Updated on: Fri, 23 February 2018 17:42]

Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1782469 is a reply to message #1782465] Fri, 23 February 2018 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

This is already a concern.

Have a look at the "Feature Directory Lengths" entry towards the end of https://ci.eclipse.org/simrel/job/simrel.oxygen.runaggregator.BUILD__CLEAN/lastSuccessfulBuild/artifact/aggregation/final/buildInfo/reporeports/index.html

87 characters is the longest length.

My typical installation is not much shorter than yours; E:\Tools\Eclipse\4.8M5

I only notice a length 'problem' when deleting obsolete installations and forgetting to press shift to bypass the recycle bin. I'm not that worried if in this case some deleted files are not recyclable.

Since features are comfortably below 100 characters, any long names you encounter from file names must be ridiculously long. I suggest you raise bugs against the offending projects.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1782471 is a reply to message #1782469] Fri, 23 February 2018 18:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it is sad. I don't have admin right to root drive "C:\". So I can't create any folders.
I may take your recommendation under advisement. Currently the one(s) I find to be problematic is the following: [from eclipse folder]

eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.test_1.6.300.v201710526-1225\testdata\configAreaToAgent\sharedWithoutBaseAvailable\p2\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine\profileRegistry\SDKProfile.profile\.data\.settings\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.artifact.repository.prefs
eclipse\plugins\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.test_1.6.300.v201710526-1225\testdata\configAreaToAgent\sharedWithoutBaseAvailable\p2\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.engine\profileRegistry\SDKProfile.profile\.data\.settings\org.eclipse.equinox.p2.metadata.repository.prefs

There are others, yet I don't have any other examples handy. I will search for your tool. I was thinking of writing one myself. ;-)

- Albert Einstein
Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1782473 is a reply to message #1782471] Fri, 23 February 2018 19:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I emphasize it is the plugins folder within eclipse folder that get long counting all sub-directories.

- Albert Einstein
Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1783826 is a reply to message #1782473] Sun, 18 March 2018 21:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have something new to add.

On various systems is the following:

Windows (all versions): Max Path Length = 260 chars.
Mac OS X: Max Path Length (Yosemite forward) = 1023 chars.
Linux (all versions): Max Path Length = Max -> Java = 2^31 -1 ~= 2 Billion.

Implication all OS should use Java example. Duh!!!

Maddog

- Albert Einstein
Re: Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.2 unresponsive after update [message #1783827 is a reply to message #1783826] Sun, 18 March 2018 22:02 Go to previous message
BTW, I'm working on a tool which will find the maximum directory depth in characters for the Eclipse directory tree.
Since this is in Java (1.8) it should work on all versions if you have Java 8+.

Maddog

- Albert Einstein
Previous Topic:[resolved]JNI C library not found
Next Topic:Eclipse preference file @ entries
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:54:11 GMT 2024