Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » Unable to debug on El Capitan(GDB does not work at all)
Unable to debug on El Capitan [message #1782368] Thu, 22 February 2018 12:19 Go to next message
an de is currently offline an deFriend
I am unable to debug anything within Eclipse: launch stops at 96%, app stops responding, before that "Step into" and other buttons were inactive.
I defined a path to gdb (8.0), then I had some troubles with .gdbinit.

I was unable to follow the instructions to create that file:
http://wiki.eclipse.org/CDT/User/FAQ#What_is_the_CDT.3F
Because of other known error: "ImportError: No module named libstdcxx.v6.printers"
So I created it myself with the following content: "set startup-with-shell off", as it was advised on apple forum.

Mac OS X 10.11.6
Eclipse Version: Oxygen.2 Release (4.7.2)
Eclipse C/C++ Development Tools Version: 9.4.2.201802122019
GNU gdb (GDB) 8.0

Now Eclipse just stop responding few seconds after pushing "bug" button, and showing that Launching is at 99%. I restarted the system couple of times, tried to update it.

I need some help with that!

Thank you in advance!
Re: Unable to debug on El Capitan [message #1783219 is a reply to message #1782368] Fri, 09 March 2018 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ramson jone is currently offline ramson joneFriend
Facing same issue but still trying for resolving the issue
Re: Unable to debug on El Capitan [message #1783265 is a reply to message #1783219] Sat, 10 March 2018 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David VavraFriend
Not sure if this is your issue,
but sometimes the debugger seems to hang when it tries to read your variable values for display,

It's caused by a very deep structure.
It is particularly bad with STL sets that are uninitialized as they often report a large number of bogus entries.

If this is the case, placing the first breakpoint at a point where everything is initialized will circumvent this.

Also, never step into any code that has deep structures.
Another workaround is to not use the Variables view in the debugger but use the Expressions view instead.

[Updated on: Sat, 10 March 2018 07:09]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Unable to debug on El Capitan [message #1783272 is a reply to message #1782368] Sat, 10 March 2018 08:33 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
Probably you have been bitten by Apple's change of compiler toolchain.
Google for 'gcc debug os x el capitan'.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:How could I possibly make Intel C compiler work with Eclipse in place of MS Visual Studio
Next Topic:RE: Running Some Software Out of a Book
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 14:21:24 GMT 2024