Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse Platform » Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n(Followed instructions failed)
Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782311] Wed, 21 February 2018 16:09 Go to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
I followed the instructions here and I get an error about some missing required items. See Bugzilla 531358.

How can I today create a successful workspace that targets Oxygen. I saw some information about this repositories_R4_7_maintenance.txt file but I have no idea how to use it.

Your urgent help is much appreciated.
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782322 is a reply to message #1782311] Wed, 21 February 2018 18:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
A relatively easy way is to use an Eclipse for Committers package and import the specific projects required from the R4_7_maintenance branch in a git checkout.

Brian.
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782329 is a reply to message #1782322] Thu, 22 February 2018 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Of course even easier would be if the Oomph setup just worked at least for master and a Photon target platform, i.e., it would be easier for contributors if someone from the platfrom would actually look at https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=531358 to make it work properly for the master stream. Given that there will no longer be a maintenance branch after the next Photon release, perhaps it's not worth the effort to ensure that the setup has Oxygen streams, but surely master with Photon should work out of the box.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782392 is a reply to message #1782329] Thu, 22 February 2018 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am truly not trying to rub it in but this is exactly the issue that I pointed in this thread. Even though nobody at eclipse does that but it would be most helpful if you did. It is extremely difficult for someone not deeply involved on a daily basis to know what to do to look or investigate an issue. It is already difficult to investigate any issue with Eclipse because of its several hundreds plugins, conventions and thousands of source files but it is made even more difficult because of its difficulty in getting an eclipse environment to start looking into whatever issue one is investigating.
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782432 is a reply to message #1782392] Fri, 23 February 2018 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure how this is related to a thread about Tycho production builds versus headless provisioning of a development environment. Oomph was created to automate the setup of a development environment. It is not created to help do production builds and production builds are the not result that the development environment produces.

As an example of how Oomph ought to work for each project: before I went on my current trip, I got out my old machine (that if someone stole it I wouldn't die), deleted my "sandbox" folder and created two fresh new development environments for EMF/XSD and Oomph. In each of those development environments, there is an external tools launcher that will do a Maven Tycho build locally, producing exactly what the product build job does. This is particular convenient for both projects, because for Oomph I can test how installations are created from update sites of the latest build. For EMF, I can change the generated, do the build, install it into the IDE itself, and regenerate other models...

If the developers of the platform team actually used and maintained their setups, it would also be this trivially easy for any every contributor to duplicate what the developers are doing. But as you see, no response on the Bugzilla, and no real help here on the forum. I guess someone is hoping that I'll personally maintain all setups for all projects at Eclipse, via numerous Gerrit contributions to a plethora of repositories, as if that were scalable...

Ed Merks
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782476 is a reply to message #1782432] Fri, 23 February 2018 19:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let me explain the relationship (by the way the link was to a specific post in that topic directly related to what I am going to explain). I assume that Hudson has the ability to create a new build for any current or past release. The build system has to have the following components:

• assembly all required source and configuration files
  • compilation
  • packaging
  • deployment

When I need to create a workspace for say release Oxygen, I need the first component from the previous list. Today, I cannot create a Platform UI workspace for Oxygen BECAUSE the assembly of the required source and configuration files is different between Hudson (typcho/maven/git) and Eclipse (oomph/git). If the process for Eclipse was the same as for Hudson, the current situation would not arise. I apologize if there is something I am not aware in this discussion.

You seem to imply that it is easy to have the assembly in sync between eclipse and the build platform and you are probably correct. What I am trying to say is that when there are several hundreds builds/eclipse workspaces this quickly becomes problematic as it has in the case of the platform UI workspace.

The requirement I am talking about is not a far fetched one. I want to build a workspace for the current production version of eclipse to investigate a problem (or look into a new feature) and this should just work. I would even go as far as saying that this is pretty much a requirement of any development life cycle.
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782496 is a reply to message #1782476] Sat, 24 February 2018 18:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're just barking up a tree from which no cat will ever jump down when it comes to your desire for the development environment and the product build system to be one and the same. They're not and they won't be because everyone uses Eclipse as the development environment and everyone uses Tycho for the production build. No matter how much you might require or desire that to be different, it's not going to happen.

When it comes to setting up the development environment, the Oomph setup for that should just work, but authoring that is the job of each project team and the platform project team doesn't appear to look at this forum nor at the bug you opened. What can I say about that, other than "it makes me sad".

Ed Merks
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782509 is a reply to message #1782496] Sun, 25 February 2018 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know there is nothing you can do to fix the issue but this discussion has gone from not knowing what I meant to what I mean is impossible. The fact that today it cannot be done does not imply that the requirement is basic and justified. You say this requirement is impossible because it is not feasible to change either the development which is in Eclipse or the production builds which use tycho in order to be identical. I disagree. It is possible to meet this requirements without changing either of these environments.

I do not know tycho sufficiently to asses the feasibility or best method of doing it but I certainly believe that oomph could be modified to create the tycho information for the production builds from the existing information it currently has to create the eclipse workspace. Alternatively, the tycho builds could be modified to use the oomph setup to perform the source assembly referred to in my previous post. As I said before, we currently have over 400 Hudson builds that use the same custom scripts to build the eclipse workspace and run the hudson builds. I am certain that the eclipse organization would benefit from something similar.
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782511 is a reply to message #1782509] Sun, 25 February 2018 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Impossible is a strong word, I don't recall using it. In there past there was PDE build, but that is abandoned. There was also Buckminster, but that too is essentially abandoned. Those more closely emulated what happens in the IDE. But now there is CBI (Common Build Infrastructure) and Tycho; EMF's build was migrated from Buckminster to Tycho just last month...

In any case, no matter what you might "require"---which I pretty much replace with "desire" because it's clear that everyone else gets by without this requirement being addressed---I can assure you that no one is going to see your requirement as something in which they will invest effort, so you'll have to implement that yourself.

Without knowing what "information" Tycho needs, you assume that Oomph can generate it. Assembling the source (cloning) is not even done by Tycho, it's done by Hudson directly. Managing dependencies in Tycho is done via what's in the pom.xmls, optionally with the help of a *.target file, which Oomph can generate to match what's computed during Targlet resolution.

So while you should reasonably expect to be able to reproduce the development environment setup the developers use for development of Oxygen and Photon (so you can contribute bug fixed for example) and you should expect to be able to replicate the production builds used to produce the deliverables (so you could build you own distro with bug fixes), you are misguided if you expect CBI and Tycho will change conform to your requirement that the development IDE's builds and production builds be one and the same.

Ed Merks
Re: Contributing to the Platform/UI fails with missing org.apache.batik.i18n [message #1782520 is a reply to message #1782511] Sun, 25 February 2018 15:35 Go to previous message
Ok impossible may not have been the right word but it came from « it's not going to happen » in your post. As for « my requirement » I agree with you on one point. It's not likely to happen within eclipse. As to whether this is a desire or requirement it is up for eternal debate. We have heard 2 opinions and in as much as I would like to consider mine as being absolutely representative I won't make that claim.

The fact that eclipse has done by without this requirement is not a reflection of that requirement's usefulness in my humble opinion. It is more of a result of the fact that it is a multi organization multi developer project with which rely on goodwill funding, There is nothing I can do wrt the fact that I cannot build a Oxygen UI workspace other than post, submit bugzilla and wait on the goodwill of people to fix it or provide a workaround. Again in my humble opinion and my comments were in no way aimed at belittling the excellent work done by all the volunteers who have contributed in the past.
Previous Topic:Why is Oxygen so unstable?
Next Topic:Delete .metadata while running headless exe
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:09:47 GMT 2024