Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Unable to install local updates
Unable to install local updates [message #1782069] Fri, 16 February 2018 17:46 Go to next message
Jack McGillis is currently offline Jack McGillisFriend
I am using version Oxygen with latest, as of a few days ago, updates on Windows 7.

The system that I prefer to run Eclipse on is *not* connected to the Internet.

Instead I get my updates by either downloading on a slow laptop and transferring everything (.eclipse, .jubula, .p2, .tooling, eclipse, and the workspace) via a flash drive or downloading a zip of the update if avaliable. These errors occur in the second situation, after unzipping the update into a directory that is visible to Available Software Sites.

When I do Help/Install New Software I get two error messages:

- Current Eclipse instance does not support software installation.
- Could not locate the running profile instance of two files... Check your config.ini file. The first file, eclipse.p2.profile is present in config.ini. The second file is not.

The odd thing is that the same thing works when connected to the Internet.

Any ideas?
Re: Unable to install local updates [message #1782092 is a reply to message #1782069] Sat, 17 February 2018 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
You haven't said how you install your Eclipse instance, which update sites you're downloading, nor how you're downloading them. It sounds like you're missing some of the key pieces from p2. Listing your steps and the commands you're performing will be essential. I'm guessing (or hoping?) you're using p2.mirror tasks to assemble a repository that you're then using as an installation source.

Brian.
Re: Unable to install local updates [message #1782119 is a reply to message #1782092] Mon, 19 February 2018 04:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The instance is installed by copying into a 'blank' instance. Use 'New' under the 'File' menu to create a 'blank' instance. Seems to work just fine. The update site was from objectaid (http://objectaid.com/download). Trying to use as a local update site. Don't know what p2.mirror tasks are.

The problem seems to be that 'eclipse.p2.profile' isn't being set in 'config.ini'. I have no idea what it should be pointed to.

Another, posiibly, related issue is that Help/About Eclipse/Installation Details is empty for the Installed Software and Installation History tabs.
Re: Unable to install local updates [message #1782172 is a reply to message #1782119] Tue, 20 February 2018 02:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Could you describe more what you mean by a "blank instance"? File > New within Eclipse takes me to a new wizard.
Re: Unable to install local updates [message #1782460 is a reply to message #1782172] Fri, 23 February 2018 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brian de Alwis wrote on Tue, 20 February 2018 02:33
Could you describe more what you mean by a "blank instance"? File > New within Eclipse takes me to a new wizard.

Sure. Go through the wizard without importing anything. You can then copy your existing instance into the created location. I use this for quick and dirty backups. I seem to find lots of sharp edges using Eclipse.
Re: Unable to install local updates [message #1782468 is a reply to message #1782460] Fri, 23 February 2018 18:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Which new wizard?

index.php/fa/32172/0/

Do you mean File > Import > Existing projects into workspace?

Sorry but please be more explicit about the steps you're doing. I can't make sense of what you're describing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Attachment: newwiz.png
    (Size: 49.40KB, Downloaded 538 times)
Re: Unable to install local updates [message #1782807 is a reply to message #1782468] Thu, 01 March 2018 16:53 Go to previous message
Brian de Alwis wrote on Fri, 23 February 2018 18:15
Which new wizard?

index.php/fa/32172/0/

Do you mean File > Import > Existing projects into workspace?

Sorry but please be more explicit about the steps you're doing. I can't make sense of what you're describing. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I did 'File > Import > Existing projects into workspace quite a while ago. Once you do this you can treat the instance like like any other file hierarchy. Copy, zip, etc.

To create a blank project:
File>New>Project>Java Project
Previous Topic:Installation history
Next Topic:Provide multiple service implementations via ContextFunction?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 16:15:43 GMT 2024