Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip
Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1781929] Wed, 14 February 2018 16:45 Go to next message
Ge Strait is currently offline Ge StraitFriend
The self-extracting eclipse-inst-win64.exe available for download is not ideal. It extracts to a temp location then run the eclipse installer.

Would like to be able to download a plain eclipse-inst-win64.zip that I can simply extract on Windows using a common tool such as 7zip. Then make edits to the eclipse-inst.ini

Would the Eclipse Installer team consider providing an eclipse-inst-win64.zip ??

Note: In my testing, old versions of 7zip allow for unzipping a self-extracting exe but recent versions of 7zip do not.
Re: Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1782025 is a reply to message #1781929] Fri, 16 February 2018 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Have a look at https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring#How_to_extract_the_constituent_parts_that_comprise_the_Windows_self-extracting_installer_executable to see you could can extract the parts of the executable and repackage them however your like.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1782388 is a reply to message #1782025] Thu, 22 February 2018 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Ed, I'm aware of that link and considered it. But for my product we're asking customer to download Eclipse Installer themselves and extract the .exe and customize the eclipse-inst.ini to define a redirection. The method you point to in your docs requires they have the org.eclipse.oomph.extractor.lib-*.jar. Which they don't have. So our thinking is why not just provide a .zip in addition to the .exe on your download page? So people can download whichever they prefer for their scenario.

Again, thank you for your response to this topic and so many others.
Re: Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1782430 is a reply to message #1782388] Fri, 23 February 2018 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure why you'd have the end-user do something manually? If you want to redistribute in some other form, you can follow those instructions and repackage as you wish, including your edits of the eclipse.inst.ini, to provide your end-users what you want them to have. You can even build a new *.exe or just the zip if that's what you prefer.

Ed Merks
Re: Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1782444 is a reply to message #1782430] Fri, 23 February 2018 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We ship a product catalog which our end users will copy onto a machine on their LAN to be accessed by Eclipse Installer. So we don't know the redirection details. Additionally, we made a decision to not ship Eclipse Installer to avoid potential certificatoin/legal issues that can arise. Rather we instruct end users to download Eclipse Installer. The idea is an administrator would make the manual edit then make the update Eclipse Installer avialable to his/her end users. Unfortunately extracting the .exe is not as easy as one would like on Windows.

Thanks again.
Re: Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1782497 is a reply to message #1782444] Sat, 24 February 2018 18:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think your goal should be to make this easier for your users. I also think your legal team should consider that all this is EPL and that there are no legal issues with redistributing anything.

Our goal for Oomph is to make this easy for our users to install using the Eclipse.org index; if that makes it a little harder for some system administrator to tailor it to use some other index to install some other things, so be it.

Ed Merks
Re: Would like a eclipse-inst-win64.zip [message #1782810 is a reply to message #1782497] Thu, 01 March 2018 18:41 Go to previous message
Lutz Wrage is currently offline Lutz WrageFriend
My 2¢: I think providing a zip file in addition to the exe would be an improvement.

I work in a restricted environment where binary files can only be executed if they are in a whitelisted directory. For security reasons the temp directory is not whitelisted, so I had to find the extracted files and copy them to a whitelisted location. So this is a situation where the exe end up making things more complicated for users.
Previous Topic:Are reproducible installs possible?
Next Topic:How to create a SVN repository location
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 01:02:24 GMT 2024