Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » TMF (Xtext) » generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13
generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781887] Wed, 14 February 2018 10:38 Go to next message
Clément Hurlin is currently offline Clément HurlinFriend
We've been facing an issue after updating from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 and from Eclipse Luna to Eclipse Oxygen. The generated *ParsetreeConstructor files from our various grammars do not compile, because part of the .xtext input grammar ends up in it! Here's an excerpt of a generated ParsetreeConstructor:

/************ begin Rule EmbeddedSection ****************
 * /* opening and closing stratumId should match */ EmbeddedSection:
 * 	"*O" WS? stratumID=NON_ASTERISK_STRING CR
 * 	embeddedSmaps+=SMAP*
 * 	"*C" WS? closingStratumID=NON_ASTERISK_STRING CR;
 **/

Note how "EmbeddedSection" isn't in a comment. It comes from the corresponding part of the .xtext grammar:

/* opening and closing stratumId should match */
EmbeddedSection:
	"*O" WS? stratumID=NON_ASTERISK_STRING CR
	embeddedSmaps+=SMAP*
	"*C" WS? closingStratumID=NON_ASTERISK_STRING CR;

It is related to the handling of comments, the disturbing part being "/* opening and closing stratumId should match */" in our grammar. If I remove it, generation works. I have several examples of the same kind (in the same grammar, and in other grammars too).

We are still using the old Generator class in our mwe2 files (org.eclipse.xtext.generator). I know it's not being maintained, but you know time flies and our grammars are 5 years old now :-)
Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781888 is a reply to message #1781887] Wed, 14 February 2018 10:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Christian Dietrich is currently offline Christian DietrichFriend
so you dont use the old generator only but the old serializer too?
you could subclass and patch the fragment/xpt file

did you investigate where this is called. most places use
grammarFragmentToStr("// ", lineDelimiter)

Twitter : @chrdietrich
Blog : https://www.dietrich-it.de
Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781890 is a reply to message #1781888] Wed, 14 February 2018 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
p.S. could you provide a hello world project. createing a old style project by hand is pita

Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781892 is a reply to message #1781890] Wed, 14 February 2018 11:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karsten Thoms is currently offline Karsten ThomsFriend

Maybe you could change your comment style in the grammar?
Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781895 is a reply to message #1781892] Wed, 14 February 2018 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
@ChristianDietrich> Yes we use the old serializer too (org.eclipse.xtext.generator.parseTreeConstructor.ParseTreeConstructorFragment). What do you mean by "investigate where this is called" ? I'm sorry I'm not the xtext guy in the company and don't really know which code is called by mwe2. I'll look into providing a simple example, it seems feasible.

@KarstenThoms> changing the comments to // indeed avoids the problem
Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781897 is a reply to message #1781895] Wed, 14 February 2018 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Here's an example project to reproduce the problem: http://dl.free.fr/jWNrj1Pjx

Reproduction procedure:

* Unpack the archive
* Import the com.provenrun.smap project into Eclipse Oxygen 4.7.0 with Xtext 2.13 installed, it'll have errors; it's normal
* Right-click on src/com/provenrun/smap/SMAP.xtext > Run as MWE2 Workflow
* The generator will ask you to download http://download.itemis.com/antlr-generator-3.2.0-patch.jar, do it and then the generator should finish successfully
* Then witness that /com.provenrun.smap/src-gen/com/provenrun/smap/parseTreeConstruction/SMAPParsetreeConstructor.java has errors
Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781901 is a reply to message #1781897] Wed, 14 February 2018 12:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you can try to patch like

Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781905 is a reply to message #1781901] Wed, 14 February 2018 14:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Christian, but how exactly should I apply this patch (we're working against released versions of xtext, not the source) ?
Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781906 is a reply to message #1781905] Wed, 14 February 2018 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont get your question:

import patch as project
add dependency from your project to patch project
exchange the current fragment with the patched one

Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781910 is a reply to message #1781906] Wed, 14 February 2018 15:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wasn't aware it was so easy to replace the fragment being used! I confirm it fixes the bug on all 3 grammars I tested, thank you very much; we can continue our update now.

And I've confirmed with the local xtext master that we'll update to the new generator soon :-) so hopefully we won't bother you again ☺

On a final note, I've tried to turn all multiline comments into single line comments (//) in our grammars, but there was one position where */ was used in a rule, which still triggered the bug:

ML_StandaloneSMDoc:
	{ML_StandaloneSMDoc}
	// first line
	body+=ML_StandaloneSMDocFirstLineBody
	// Intermediate lines
	(body+=NewLine //
	//
	body+=ML_SMDocNextLineBody)* //
	// closing
	body+=NewLine?
	'*/';  // <- Here's the one

so it isn't a viable workaround after all.

[Updated on: Wed, 14 February 2018 15:13]

Report message to a moderator

Re: generated ParsetreeConstructor file doesn't compile after upgrade from xtext 2.9.2 to xtext 2.13 [message #1781911 is a reply to message #1781910] Wed, 14 February 2018 15:17 Go to previous message
yes the problem is your keyword.

Previous Topic:Trying to write a DSL with Xtext to specify an XML-like language
Next Topic:How to define a greedy version of Xtext until (->)?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 04:44:50 GMT 2024