Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Error without explaination(Java code will not run, but there are no errors)
Error without explaination [message #1781747] Mon, 12 February 2018 23:55 Go to next message
Robert Van Cleave is currently offline Robert Van CleaveFriend
Sorry if this has already been answered, I did look for awhile before posting

I teach Java at a community college. I use Eclipse. Two students this semester have reported this same issue. They create a Java project, write a program that shows no errors, but when they try to run it, it simply says "Error". No other information provided. I have use Eclipse for years and never have I seen this.

See attached screen capture
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781841 is a reply to message #1781747] Tue, 13 February 2018 20:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Strange indeed, but hard to say what's happening just from looking at that picture.

A few questions to get investigation going:
- Does the Error Log show any "interesting" entries / errors?
- What version / variant of Eclipse has been installed? Any additional plug-ins?
- The console looks like a program is running OK, so what's the relation between the running program and the error dialog?
- The console mentions jdk-9.0.4 - does the problem happen also with Java 8?
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781842 is a reply to message #1781747] Tue, 13 February 2018 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

From the limited program lines you provide I would guess that the Error dialog is the response to a bad input, and so may just be bad user programming of the message dialog.

Really hard to tell without the program.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781857 is a reply to message #1781841] Tue, 13 February 2018 23:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have not checked the error log, I will next time I see her.
She downloaded the the version of Eclipse that was available in January
She had tried to run a different program, and this error popped up imediately
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781858 is a reply to message #1781842] Tue, 13 February 2018 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The program does not use dialog boxes, this error pops up immediately after clicking run . The output in the console window is from another program that she did finally get to run. This was an attempt at another. The code she was trying to run runs fine on other machines.

She did have some luck by right-clicking the program file, and choosing run as -> run configurations, then just clicking OK after the dialog box popped up, not entering anything at all.
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781860 is a reply to message #1781841] Tue, 13 February 2018 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the suggestions, by the way. I will check all of them out.
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781869 is a reply to message #1781860] Wed, 14 February 2018 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sarika Sinha is currently offline Sarika SinhaFriend
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=529843
We have a bug for this and it suggests a bug in org.eclipse.recommenders

Sarika Sinha
JDT Programmer
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781870 is a reply to message #1781869] Wed, 14 February 2018 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

The Plugin Spy: Press Alt+Shift+F1 on the dialog. This should be very instructive in revealing/confirming which Eclipse component is at fault.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Error without explaination [message #1781941 is a reply to message #1781869] Wed, 14 February 2018 20:27 Go to previous message
Thanks
Previous Topic:Seeking useful plugin documentation
Next Topic:[RESOLVED] superclass "javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet" was not found
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 01:43:58 GMT 2024