Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Please help! Eclipse won't let me use/create a workspace ...(Wow! 2000+ views and nobody could/would help? Anybody? )
Please help! Eclipse won't let me use/create a workspace ... [message #1781675] Mon, 12 February 2018 03:54 Go to next message
Raoul Castano is currently offline Raoul CastanoFriend
Hello Folks,

I am so new at Eclipse/Java that words like newbie, rookie, and so forth make me feel as if at least I know the basics. I am new as in zero, nada, zilch experience. So, I am stuck at a very basic step: adding a workspace.

I bought this books that promises to teach me Java using Eclipse and Android Studio, but I am off to a very ascetic start. The book assumes things will go as planned when it comes to installing Eclipse, so it does not offer much on the way of troubleshooting help.

My problem is: I want to create a workspace in a folder I created under my C:\ drive (C:\000Pc005temp001\Eclipse\eclipse-workspace), but Eclipse gives me various error messages:
- "specified workspace directory is either invalid or read-only"
- "C:\ ...\eclipse-workspace is in use or cannot be created"
- "C:\ ...\eclipse-workspace\.metadata\.lock (Access is denied)

I want to keep all things (articles, books, etc.) related to my Eclipse/Java learning experience in one place under the C:\000Pc005temp001\Eclipse directory to help me simplify the learning process. It would also help for backup purposes.

Eclipse will only allow me to access a workspace it created by default under my user folder.

I have tried different solutions, like:
- Going under the .metadata directory and deleting a .lock file (which I cannot find).
- Changing my user's permissions to "Full control"
- Changing the attributes of the C:\000Pc005temp001 directory to not be (unchecked) Read-only. Although it always comes back to be Read-only when I go back to check after changing it.
- Running Eclipse as administrator.

Nothing works.

I am about to abandon the plans of learning Java from that book using Eclipse. Thank you for any help you would be able to offer me.

Sincerely :-(

Raoul

[Updated on: Sat, 17 February 2018 04:48]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Please help! Eclipse won't let me use/create a workspace ... [message #1784698 is a reply to message #1781675] Mon, 02 April 2018 18:43 Go to previous message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
If I were trying to do this, I would create a folder on the second disk drive, let's say it's called "Eclipse-workspace5," Then go into Eclipse and go to the bottom of the "File" drop-down menu, and select "Switch Workspace," go to the bottom where if offers you the choice of "other," and then you should be able to navigate to the folder you created. Then go make a test project and save it. See whether it succeeds as Eclipse reports the matter, and then get out of Eclipse and look at the contents of the folder you created.

One of the problems with getting an answer to your question is that different users have different operating systems. If you are using Windows, for instance, you'd have to do thing the Gates way.
Previous Topic:Editor vanished, can't get it back.
Next Topic:Does Eclipse has a visual database designing tool?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 13:48:49 GMT 2024