Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » How can I make it possible to "pull" on release branches just like master?
How can I make it possible to "pull" on release branches just like master? [message #1781497] Wed, 07 February 2018 22:40 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
When I switch to the "master" branch, I find "master" in the "Local" list. After it's checked out I can then later right-click it and select "Pull" to get any recent merges to the master branch.

I also have to sometimes switch to a "release" branch. I only ever find the release branches in the "Remote Tracking" list. I can check it out, but I can't "pull" it later.

How can I get the same functionality with my release branch that I have with my master branch?
Re: How can I make it possible to "pull" on release branches just like master? [message #1781498 is a reply to message #1781497] Wed, 07 February 2018 23:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
Try the following:
- select the local branch in the repositories view
- click "Configure branch..."
- configure the upstream branch this local branch should track
now this local branch should now from which upstream branch to update on pull
Re: How can I make it possible to "pull" on release branches just like master? [message #1781499 is a reply to message #1781498] Wed, 07 February 2018 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
s/should now/should know/
Re: How can I make it possible to "pull" on release branches just like master? [message #1781502 is a reply to message #1781499] Wed, 07 February 2018 23:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
(Concerning your self-reply, aren't you able to edit your own posts?)

So by "select the local branch", I assume you're saying that I should first create a local branch that will correspond to that remote branch, correct? In any case, I don't see any "Configure branch..." menu item or button anywhere.

I see that when I create a local branch, there is a "Select" button next to the "Source" label. If I select the remote branch there, isn't that doing the same thing? Assuming that's true, that will be good enough for me, but it would be worthwhile to know how to get to that "Configure branch..." thing you mention.
Re: How can I make it possible to "pull" on release branches just like master? [message #1781624 is a reply to message #1781502] Fri, 09 February 2018 16:10 Go to previous message
Thomas Wolf is currently offline Thomas WolfFriend
If you don't have a local branch yet, select the remote branch in the repositories view or in the history and select "Create branch..." from the context menu. The dialog that comes up has by default all the setting you need, you should only need to enter a name for the local branch if the proposed one doesn't fit your needs. Then click "OK". A local branch will be created, it will be configured to pull from the selected remote branch, and it will be checked out. (If you left everything at the default setting in that dialog.)
Previous Topic:How can I integrate EGIT with Parasoft SOAtest tool
Next Topic:How can I integrate EGIT with Parasoft SOAtest tool
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 00:47:36 GMT 2024