Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » Oomph headless(Hudson continuous building)
Oomph headless [message #1781213] Fri, 02 February 2018 21:12 Go to next message
Mario Jauvin is currently offline Mario JauvinFriend
I am trying to create a oomph project setup that I can use in Hudson/Jenkins to perform continuous builds. Is it possible to have Hudson/Jenkins use the project setup to both provision the workspace in eclipse for user development and to provision the workspace in headless mode on Hudson/Jenkins for building. Are there examples, docs that can help this process? Are there tips?
Re: Oomph headless [message #1781219 is a reply to message #1781213] Sat, 03 February 2018 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
No, a headless mode has been asked about many times and https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=487626 is open. If someone cares enough to fund that effort, it would be done. In any case, even we wouldn't want to use that ourselves for Oomph's build; how would such a thing help for building on Hudson/Jenkins? I would expect a Maven/Tycho build for that purpose, as we have for Oomph itself.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph headless [message #1781233 is a reply to message #1781219] Sat, 03 February 2018 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How do you guarantee that what is built with Tycho/Maven is the same as what is created with the oomph project setup with your current oomph builds? Can you generate the Hudson build from the oomph setup? Would that be a good idea?
Re: Oomph headless [message #1781236 is a reply to message #1781233] Sun, 04 February 2018 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
No project at Eclipse does a build that replicates their workspace development environment. The development environment uses JDT to compile the sources in the workspace against the binaries in the target platform, the build job uses Maven POMs to determine what to build and uses javac to compile Java sources. So no project ever guarantees that their development environment creates exactly the same artifacts as their build job because it definitely doesn't. But if things are well designed, you can replicate the build job locally with the External Tools Configurations that launches a Maven Tycho build. That will do quite a bit more things than you do in your development environment, e.g., it builds bundle jars, whereas JDT just populates the bin folder, and it typically builds an update site, which you don't generally need at development time, and on a real build server, it signs the jars.

An important driver for Tycho builds is often the *.target file, which in the case of Oomph (and with Targlets in general), we generate a *.target as a side effect of resolving the target platform. So that ensures that the build job compiles against what we're also using in our development environment.

It makes no sense to generate a build from the setup. The build is driven by what's in the POMs and that's not determined by the setup description. The m2e project supports POM generation for projects in the development workspace.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Oomph headless [message #1781377 is a reply to message #1781236] Tue, 06 February 2018 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the good description especially the differences between oomph and Tycho.

In my organization, we have several hundred builds that share the exact same configuration between the dev workspace and the build workspace. That is definitely something different than the eclipse environment. One even more notable difference is we do not use javac to compile but rather JDT because JDT respects the access restrictions specified in the dev workspace .classpath so we would like to continue doing this. Also, our builds do not include eclipse plugins so Tycho is not used. However, we are moving to a maven build system and I am looking how to best move forward.

Is there a way to have maven respect the .classpath settings without using JDT?
Re: Oomph headless [message #1781391 is a reply to message #1781377] Tue, 06 February 2018 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eike Stepper is currently offline Eike StepperFriend
I suspect that only JDT uses the .classpath file. Recently I've seen that Tycho can make use of the JDT compiler, though: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tycho/FAQ#Can_I_use_the_Tycho_compiler_support_in_non-OSGi_projects.2C_too.3F

I haven't tred it out.

Re: Oomph headless [message #1856986 is a reply to message #1781391] Wed, 11 January 2023 17:49 Go to previous message
Alexey Langer is currently offline Alexey LangerFriend
For those still looking for an answer:

This task can be solved using the console version of the oomph installer https://github.com/a-langer/eclipse-oomph-console. It allows you to install Eclipse in headless mode (from command line) with a set of required plugins.
Previous Topic:String Substitution Task
Next Topic:OOMPH doesn't download plugins from specified repositories (and brings the latest version instead)
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 20:57:59 GMT 2024