Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » Help setting up remote debugging with Eclipse and Xdebug
Help setting up remote debugging with Eclipse and Xdebug [message #1781048] Wed, 31 January 2018 19:14 Go to next message
Steve _____ is currently offline Steve _____Friend
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Client Side:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Eclipse for PHP Developers
Version: Oxygen.2 Release (4.7.2)
Build id: 20171218-0600

Redhat Enterprise Linux 6.9

java version "1.8.0_101"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_101-b13)
Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 25.101-b13, mixed mode)

PHP 5.6

No web server installed locall
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Remote Server Where The PHP web app is
------------------------------------------------------------------------

PHP 5.6.5

Zend Engine v2.6.0, Copyright (c) 1998-2014 Zend Technologies
with Zend OPcache v7.0.4-dev, Copyright (c) 1999-2014, by Zend Technologies
with Xdebug v2.2.7, Copyright (c) 2002-2015, by Derick Rethans
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have the above environment(s). I would like to debug a PHP web app on a remote server, without having to run (or have) a local copy of the site.

I found some instructions in the Eclipse Help Contents on doing this

http://127.0.0.1:40184/help/topic/org.eclipse.php.help/html/tasks/debugging/troubleshooting_remote_debugging/index.html?cp=9_3_19_6

However, the instructions are only for the Zend debugger. I'm not sure that the remote site ( see above ) I want to debug has the Zend debugger. It looks like it has the Xdebug debugger.

Are the instructions the same, or would I only have to alter the php.ini for the Zend Debugger?

Are there instructions for complete remote debugging with Eclipse and Xdebug only ( without needing anything locally )?

Thanks.

Re: Help setting up remote debugging with Eclipse and Xdebug [message #1781227 is a reply to message #1781048] Sat, 03 February 2018 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dawid Pakula is currently offline Dawid PakulaFriend
xDebug supports remote debugging by design but by default it's limited to localhost by default. See this article: https://wiki.eclipse.org/Debugging_using_XDebug

Re: Help setting up remote debugging with Eclipse and Xdebug [message #1781231 is a reply to message #1781227] Sat, 03 February 2018 17:48 Go to previous message
Steve _____ is currently offline Steve _____Friend
I've seen that article, but I didn't find it helpful as the example is about localhost debugging.

I am trying to figure out how to use Xdebug on a remote server, to debug a PHP site on that remote server.

I am also trying to do it without having Apache & PHP set up on my local machine where my Eclipse is.

Yesterday I feel I got a little bit closer by making a "Synchronized PHP Project" of the PHP files and using the remote server base URL as a "server" in Eclipse.

Still doesn't work and I am not sure what to do.

I followed the Eclipse help docs in how to set up a debub configuration, but the "Test" button next to the "Xdebug" label is greyed out. I'm stumped as to what I could have left out.
Previous Topic:[RESOLVED]What should I read? Getting started with PDT
Next Topic:Xdebug Test Button Grayed Out In Debug Configuration. Why?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 12:00:30 GMT 2024