Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Model synchronization?
Model synchronization? [message #1780668] Thu, 25 January 2018 15:15 Go to next message
Martin Hansson is currently offline Martin HanssonFriend
Sorry if I'm not using the correct terms in this post. Not proficient in UML or modelling.

I'm testing Papyrus to see if it can do what I want but even though it seems it should I fail so now I need to know if it is lacking the capabilities I need or if I'm just using it wrong.

I want to have quiet a few components and their relations in a model. Purely for visualization so in that regard Papyrus is overkill but I'm hard pressed to find something that is between a full blown modelling tool and just a drawing program.

I want to be able to show these relations in diagrams small enough to handle. If I were to put all of it in one diagram it would be way to large.

So if I create a diagram with components 1,2 and 3 with dependencies from 1 to 2 and from 2 to 3 and then create a new diagram where I put component 2 and 3 and add 4 I would like to see the dependency between 2 and 3 automatically. In this case I drag and drop components 2 and 3 into the new diagram from the model explorer.

I thought synchronization was used for this but I can't get that to work for this.
The only thing I have managed to get synchronization to work for is to have two diagrams that end up as copies of each other. I.e if I sync the diagrams whenever I make a change in one it shows in the other but that is not what I need.

Hopefully this post made sense and someone can chime in and let me know If it is me or the tool that is lacking.
Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780762 is a reply to message #1780668] Fri, 26 January 2018 16:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

Hi Martin,

As you noticed, links between the elements you dropped on the diagram are not shown by default - but don't worry, they are still in the model.

To show these links you can select the "node" elements (e.g., classes, components) and then right-click on them and select " > "Show All Related Link".

/Charles Rivet
Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780764 is a reply to message #1780762] Fri, 26 January 2018 17:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the reply.

However, that option does not show up for me when right clicking a component.
Is it hidden in a sub menu (tried to find it but couldn't)? I'm working in Neon if that makes a difference.

Actually, I might be wrong on that. It might be under filters but if so it is greyed out.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 January 2018 17:27]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780804 is a reply to message #1780764] Sat, 27 January 2018 21:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Carsten Pitz is currently offline Carsten PitzFriend
Hi Martin,
I regard the bavior you describe as intended behavior. A diagram is a mere visualization of selected aspects of a model, nothing more. You select 2 components to be shown on the diagram and as you descrbed that happens. The assiciation between these to components is not shown because you did not select it. But you can easily drag´n´drop the association onto the diagram. A component owning an association is marked by a triangle in front of its name shown in the model explorer. By clicking on that triangle you can toggle between showing and hiding the details of a component. The owned association are such a detail. If you drag`n`drop the association onto the diagram it will appear on the diagram.
/pica
Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780813 is a reply to message #1780804] Sun, 28 January 2018 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Martin,

a brief example.

In the analysis phase it was determined a body controller requires a CAN bus interface. Consequently the component BodyController depends on the component CAN_Bus.

index.php/fa/31933/0/

In the design phase a 4 channel body controller is designed. Also the dependency between the two components has been refined.

index.php/fa/31934/0/

As a result the original dependency edge is between the two components must not to be shown on the second diagram.

/pica

Dislaimer
the example has been simplified to illustrate the rationale behind the behavior only. I am aware of the fact, that the modeling shown does not support variant handling ;-)

[Updated on: Sun, 28 January 2018 13:49]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780841 is a reply to message #1780813] Mon, 29 January 2018 07:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The above actually doesn't make sense to me.

After creating the second diagram the first should have been automatically updated to reflect the change as the dependency between the components no longer exist.

Other modeling tools I have my wanted functionality but I guess it is possibly a matter of taste. I can't see how you could keep a consistent model the way it works in Papyrus though.

I can't argue my case though. As I said above I'm a noob at modeling.
If I can't get the greyed out filters back I will simply have to look for another tool that suits my purposes. Would be a pity as it looks like Papyrus check all my other boxes.
Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780848 is a reply to message #1780841] Mon, 29 January 2018 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Martin,
several norms even require the modeling works the way as Papyrus does.

Just of name only a few of them:
* DO 178B/C (aircrafts)
* ECSS‐E‐ST‐10‐02C (spacecrafts)
* ISO/IEC 26262 & ISO/IEC 15504 (automotive)
* CENELEC (railways)
* ISO 14971 & IEC 62304 (medical devices)
* IEC 61508 (generic)
all require traceability and Change history management.

Also the Automotive SPICE ( ISO/IEC 15504) compliance ensuring requirements rely on existing modeling is not implicitely altered by introducing refinements.

/pica
Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780872 is a reply to message #1780848] Mon, 29 January 2018 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you for the clarification!

Unfortunately to me that means I can't use Papyrus. It made a lot of sense given other constraints I have but I will then limit my choices to the commercial alternatives where the tool works the way I need it to work.

Appreciate the feedback and it was good to learn this before I spent too much time on Papyrus.
Re: Model synchronization? [message #1780902 is a reply to message #1780872] Mon, 29 January 2018 18:39 Go to previous message
Ri Fr is currently offline Ri FrFriend
For a very simple Open Source solution for UML drawing and model management you can download WhiteStarUML from Sourceforge.net. Not truly UML 2.x compatible (it's a fork of StarUML that is more than 20 years old) , but very good graphics and adequate model management.
Previous Topic:Use-case doubts
Next Topic:Support for Papyrus in Eclipse Che
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 15:44:44 GMT 2024