Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse/Oxygen.2 Unable to start after installation(New installatoin on restricted account)
Eclipse/Oxygen.2 Unable to start after installation [message #1780553] Tue, 23 January 2018 20:56 Go to next message
D. G. is currently offline D. G.Friend
I downloaded a GitHub project that was unfortunately written in Java. I downloaded the latest Eclipse/Oxygen.2 package and installed it.

Now, I am security conscious so my PC I have an Administrative account that is ONLY used to install/uninstall programs. All the rest of the time (99.999%) I work in a restricted account with no administrative privileges. This setup has saved me on countless occasions.

I selected the Eclipse package and did "Run as Administrator" so it got installed. At the end of it i chose not to launch. I noticed.

• It created Eclipse shortcut ONLY on the administrative account
  • Neither desktop nor menu shortcut appeared on the restricted account
  • When I checked on the Administrative account there was no Uninstall entry in the control panel!
  • After installation when I tried to run it it would give me an error that eclipse was unable to find one of its parts or something like that.
  • I noticed the .INI file (obsolete methodology) was pointing to a .p2 folder in my administrative profile

So then it would just not run. I copied the .p2 to the same location on my restricted account and modified the .INI so that it would point to the P2 on my restricted user account but the error was still the same.

Since I found no uninstall entry in the Control Panel I had to manually delete everything.
Re: Eclipse/Oxygen.2 Unable to start after installation [message #1780563 is a reply to message #1780553] Tue, 23 January 2018 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

The "Download Packages" link on download.eclipse.org gives you a selection of downloads you can unpack and run, without having to do an install step. The actual error message would have been good to have, but then I'm not sure you asked any questions in the original post.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: Eclipse/Oxygen.2 Unable to start after installation [message #1780566 is a reply to message #1780563] Tue, 23 January 2018 22:55 Go to previous message
D. G. is currently offline D. G.Friend
I chose the "Get Eclipse Oxygen" link. Yes, I ran the installer and it ran and I described the problem I got.

I guess the main problem with it is that it unjustly assumes you want to run and use Eclipse and as administrator which I do not. It installs everything only in the administrator account and is not made available to other users of the computer.
Previous Topic:Unable to build Eclipse plugin
Next Topic:Creating your first Java project
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 18:59:40 GMT 2024