Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer.
How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780328] Sat, 20 January 2018 08:19 Go to next message
Jack McGillis is currently offline Jack McGillisFriend
I have a project in Eclipse Oxygen where the Package Explorer view doesn't match that of Windows.

In particular there is a "bin" folder that never appears in Eclipse but is being modified when the project is built.

I've tried refreshing, closing the project and reopening and, gasp, reading the manual.
I even created a "New Folder" and refreshed. It appears in Package Explorer.

Anybody know where or how to correct this?
Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780330 is a reply to message #1780328] Sat, 20 January 2018 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The Package explorer is designed never to show the bin folders. The Navigator view will show you more of a "raw" view of the folder structure, but then you lose all the nice features of the Package explorer. I doubt you'll ever have any real need to look at the bin folder. When the need does arise, from the context menu of any project, folder, or file you can use Show In -> Navigator.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780339 is a reply to message #1780330] Sat, 20 January 2018 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nitin Dahyabhai is currently offline Nitin DahyabhaiFriend

There's nothing to correct. The contents of the build output folder are subject to being erased at any time. Anything that you would want to modify in there should be in your source folder or another parh that is visible.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Eclipse Web Tools Platform
Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780341 is a reply to message #1780339] Sat, 20 January 2018 17:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miguel miguel is currently offline miguel miguelFriend
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJpCbbb4J_U
Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780343 is a reply to message #1780341] Sat, 20 January 2018 17:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This seems like a different thing.

There might be a bug in terms of how quickly it hides things, but your main package wasn't shown on its own until it has more than one child because you're using the flattened presentation. If you want to be pedantic about seeing even empty and redundant packages, use the View's local Menu to change the Package Presentation to Hierarchical.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai
Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780346 is a reply to message #1780343] Sat, 20 January 2018 18:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
miguel miguel is currently offline miguel miguelFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 17:52
This seems like a different thing.

There might be a bug in terms of how quickly it hides things, but your main package wasn't shown on its own until it has more than one child because you're using the flattened presentation. If you want to be pedantic about seeing even empty and redundant packages, use the View's local Menu to change the Package Presentation to Hierarchical.

Thanks for your help . but there is not any delay i can stay half hour wathing it and it will not change if i do not create something inside. Also im already using Hierachical view

New bug when i try rename package with other packages inside : check attached

[Updated on: Sat, 20 January 2018 19:03]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780351 is a reply to message #1780346] Sat, 20 January 2018 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message

What are error we supposed to see in that image? Also, this isn't the bug reporting system. That would be bugs.eclipse.org.

_
Nitin Dahyabhai

[Updated on: Sat, 20 January 2018 21:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: How to get Package Explorer to match Windows Explorer. [message #1780680 is a reply to message #1780339] Thu, 25 January 2018 16:49 Go to previous message
Jack McGillis is currently offline Jack McGillisFriend
Nitin Dahyabhai wrote on Sat, 20 January 2018 16:40
There's nothing to correct. The contents of the build output folder are subject to being erased at any time. Anything that you would want to modify in there should be in your source folder or another parh that is visible.

The .class files go there. I could live live with the .class files being in the source folder. How would I do that?

A related question.

Is it possible to not have folders duplicated?

Example:

Windows has:
proj
src
bin
.classpath

Package Explorer produces:
proj
default this, that and the next thing
src
proj
bin
.classpath

Is it possible to not have default packages and the like. It caused me a *lot* of grief when importing some projects from Mars.
Previous Topic:Java compiler error in a comment
Next Topic:Installation of Eclipse on Terminal Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 23:56:02 GMT 2024