Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Archived » Code Recommenders » Line completion with semicolon at the end(completion line with semicolon)
Line completion with semicolon at the end [message #1779712] Thu, 11 January 2018 14:44 Go to next message
Mathias Blasek is currently offline Mathias BlasekFriend
Hi,

in an earlier version of code recommenders, I'm using the completion of a line with an semicolon with a short cut. Unfortunately, I don't find this shortcut in the current version of this plugin. Under preferences > general > keys exists in the version 2.4.7 the option/command "complete line". Did you rename this entry in the newest release?

Does exists another possibility for realizing this behavior?

Best Regards
Mathias
Re: Line completion with semicolon at the end [message #1779747 is a reply to message #1779712] Fri, 12 January 2018 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Andreas Sewe is currently offline Andreas SeweFriend
Quote:
in an earlier version of code recommenders, I'm using the completion of a line with an semicolon with a short cut. Unfortunately, I don't find this shortcut in the current version of this plugin. Under preferences > general > keys exists in the version 2.4.7 the option/command "complete line". Did you rename this entry in the newest release?

No. Code Recommenders does not, by itself, contribute any shortcuts (except for Ctrl+Alt+Space for Snipmatch); these are all contributed by the Java Development Tools, upon which Code Recommenders is built.

That being said, I am unsure what shortcut/behavior you are referring to: In Eclipse Neon (ships with Code Recommenders 2.4.0), the Keys preference page doesn't show a command matching either complete, line, or content assist and uses a semicolon in its shortcut.

Can you please describe what this command you are after actually does? Maybe it is contributed by a third-party plug-in (as I didn't find it in Eclipse Neon)?
Re: Line completion with semicolon at the end [message #1779768 is a reply to message #1779747] Fri, 12 January 2018 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mathias Blasek is currently offline Mathias BlasekFriend
Hi,

this command is doing the following: jump to the end of the line, print a semicolon or comma there (depends on the context of line) and stay there. Another option is to add a new line.

It's very simple but saving time.

You are right, this command was not part of code recommenders. I kept this wrong in my mind.
By now I found the plugin. It's called "completeline" and exists on eclipse marketplace. Unfortunately the last update was in year 2016, so I don't know if somebody maintained the project. Perhaps somebody could take this feature into code recommenders. What do you think?

Best Regards
Mathias
Re: Line completion with semicolon at the end [message #1779773 is a reply to message #1779768] Fri, 12 January 2018 11:46 Go to previous message
Andreas Sewe is currently offline Andreas SeweFriend
Quote:
You are right, this command was not part of code recommenders. I kept this wrong in my mind.
By now I found the plugin. It's called "completeline" and exists on eclipse marketplace. Unfortunately the last update was in year 2016, so I don't know if somebody maintained the project. Perhaps somebody could take this feature into code recommenders. What do you think?

I don't think Code Recommenders would be the right place. While we have some functionality that has nothing to do with making recommendations like the subwords-matching of proposals, we are in fact thinking about removing this non-core functionality, now that JDT has learned (with Eclipse Neon) to do substring-matching as well. The code is really hard to maintain, as annoying developers with misranked proposals is pretty easy and JDT's ranking heuristics are a somewhat moving target.

Maybe you could open an enhancement request for JDT instead, along with a good description what the command should do and what the shortcut should be (must not clash on any supported OS).

Hope this helps.
Previous Topic:[blog] Insert Knowledge Here Guide to Intelligent Code Completion w/ Eclipse Code Recommenders
Next Topic:Chain proposals don't work in quick assist
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 22:55:44 GMT 2024