Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » "dirty files "?(project )
"dirty files "? [message #1778560] Sun, 17 December 2017 16:25 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
Here is a project basic compile / run sequence
Build Project
Run as configuration x
Run
Project runs OK.

Now change code with LEGAL syntax and do
Run as configuration x
Get a dialogue to Save changes
Run
Project runs OK.

Now change code with ILLEGAL , WRONG syntax and do

Run as configuration x
compilation fails as it should

Now change code to previous AKA remove the ILLEGAL code.
Run as configuration x
Configuration reports - program does not exist.

Do
Build Project
compiler reports error - because it is still using the wrong syntax code

The corrected coder has not been saved / identified.

The only way to correct is to do
File ->Save all and than
Build project
etc.

Now I do not expect the IDE to guess but is this NORMAL behaviour NOT to verify if the project file TEXT has changed AKA the file is now "dirty" ?

Re: "dirty files "? [message #1792689 is a reply to message #1778560] Sat, 21 July 2018 23:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jonathan Gossage is currently offline Jonathan GossageFriend
Try the following and see if it gives you the control you want:

Select the project properties.
    Select builders
    Select the relevant builder from the list provided
    Select edit to edit the build configuration
    Select the build options tab
    Select the options that will give you the exact behavior you want

Re: "dirty files "? [message #1792703 is a reply to message #1792689] Sun, 22 July 2018 18:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Patrick Moran is currently offline Patrick MoranFriend
A quick work-around may be to restart your computer. I've seen some error conditions, usually signified by a big red filled circle and no explanatory words, solved by clearing computer RAM (and maybe some other stuff, I don't know) in this way.

Usually my problems arise because the invisible files Eclipse put into your workspace have garbage of some kind in them. If I saw a problem like yours, I would make a new workspace from my computer's directory system, and copy the project I had trouble with to the new workspace. Then I would go back into Eclipse and change workspace. In the workspace I'd just created I then have to import the project.

Eclipse does not recover gracefully from some compiler errors, so I have learned the hard way to keep backup copies (preferably on another disk in and in locked form) for anything that I get to work. It also seems worthwhile to move to new workspaces frequently.
Re: "dirty files "? [message #1792710 is a reply to message #1792703] Mon, 23 July 2018 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not even clear which language is being used, but I've never ( in 18 years) seen such problems with Java using JDT. I've never had to reboot my machine to fix some problem in the IDE nor have I ever seen JDT not recover gracefully from a compile error.

Of course if you have specific steps that reproduce such a problem, ones with which I or someone else could reproduce it as well, then someone else could help or fix the problem.

Here's what I see with a simple Java project. I run a project's Java class with a main method, one that has no errors; of course it runs. I introduce an error and try to run it; it comes up with a dialog telling me there are errors in the project instead of just running it. I fix the error but forget to save; it comes up with a dialog suggesting I save before I launch. All seems to work nicely as I've come to expect. Your scenario must be something quite different, perhaps not even using Java...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: "dirty files "? [message #1792757 is a reply to message #1792710] Mon, 23 July 2018 14:55 Go to previous message
Tauno Voipio is currently offline Tauno VoipioFriend
The OP has been using CDT for cross-compilation to microcontrollers.

If I read the complaint correctly, he's not happy that the compiler does not see a source correction before the corrected file is saved. He should have a look at workspace properties 'Auto save before build'.

--

Tauno Voipio
Previous Topic:Why does Neon1 start empty tomcat9 900ms while Oxygen and Photon start it need 20000ms?
Next Topic:OOPs Photon
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:12:28 GMT 2024