Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Eclipse Oxygen - Memory consumption on MAC(Eclipse seem to consume lot of memory over a period of time (viz. if I use for 5 or 6 hours))
Eclipse Oxygen - Memory consumption on MAC [message #1776886] Wed, 22 November 2017 14:12 Go to next message
AMIT SUDHALKAR is currently offline AMIT SUDHALKARFriend
I have seen eclipse consuming lot of memory. At times it is even more than 1.5 Gig.

I have set up Java parameters in eclipse.ini as:

-XX:MaxPermSize=256m
-XX:MaxMetaspaceSize=256m

-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m

Any clues if there is any other parameter which I can use to cap it to about 1 Gig (or less)
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Memory consumption on MAC [message #1776905 is a reply to message #1776886] Wed, 22 November 2017 16:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Your question doesn't really make sense. There is no way to force less memory to be used than is actually needed, and you've said nothing about what you're actually doing. The best you can hope accomplish is to have the Eclipse IDE die/terminate because no more objects can be allocated in the heap limit you've set, and that seems far less than helpful. Some of the applications I work with require heap sizes of 5g or more simply because the data being manipulated needs that much space....

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Memory consumption on MAC [message #1776907 is a reply to message #1776905] Wed, 22 November 2017 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AMIT SUDHALKAR is currently offline AMIT SUDHALKARFriend
Typically have work on Java projects.

- eGit client to sync code
- Occasionally use eclipse debugger to debug / step thro' the code.

I usually memory usage increasing when remote debugging, HOWEVER it does not release the memory back when I stop debugging ..etc ..
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Memory consumption on MAC [message #1776949 is a reply to message #1776907] Thu, 23 November 2017 07:47 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If there is a reproducible memory leak, you'll need to open a Bugzilla report with a precise description of how to reproduce the problem. No JVM option will fix such a problem.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:stdin in Run configuration failed to detect EOF on Linux
Next Topic:eclipse oxygen setup installation exceptions
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 14:41:55 GMT 2024