Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How do I open a .e4xmi file in the Application Model Editor?
How do I open a .e4xmi file in the Application Model Editor? [message #1776721] Mon, 20 November 2017 18:03 Go to next message
Mark Wright is currently offline Mark WrightFriend
Whenever I create a new plugin in Oxygen (which I've tried in my own, JEE install and in a stripped down SDK-only install), it opens in the XML editor, not the e4xmi-specific editor. I don't see it in the right-click menu and I can't install it using the marketplace client (its web site says it's been a part of the SDK since 4.5, so I suppose that makes sense).

Here's what I've tried:

Installed the latest stable SDK
Version: Oxygen.1a (4.7.1a)
Build id: M20171009-0410

.e4xmi files appear in XML editor

Tried installing marketplace client and then installing https://marketplace.eclipse.org/content/eclipse-4-tools-application-model-editor by dragging install to Eclipse Window. It brings up the marketplace client window, in the main search window, not focused on the Application Model Editor.

Searchiing for "Application Model Editor" in the Marketplace client is futile (it must seach by keywords rather than application name?). BUt if you scroll to the bottom and select "see more results", it will open a browser in eclipse and "Eclipse 4 Tools: Application Model Editor" is at the top. Click on it and click "install", though, and the same marketplace client window appears.
Re: How do I open a .e4xmi file in the Application Model Editor? [message #1776752 is a reply to message #1776721] Tue, 21 November 2017 08:29 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If you look in Window -> Preferences -> General -> Editors -> File Associations is there a *.e4xmi entry? For me it is, and it has several "locked" associated editors. Assuming you have the editor installed, you should be able to use, from the context menu, Open With and even if it's not listed in that menu, you can use Other... to select any editor that's installed. Note that this is not a JDT question. Better to ask on the platform or newcomers forum (or e4-specific forum, if there is one).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse cannot terminate application under Mac OS X
Next Topic:Eclipse good for Android Developement?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:57:48 GMT 2024