Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update
Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update [message #1776644] Sun, 19 November 2017 22:19 Go to next message
Ramit I is currently offline Ramit IFriend
Hi everyone,

Newbie here, and I have a potentially silly question, but after updating Eclipse the other day, I've noticed that whenever I import a new version of a project that I've worked on before, it won't show in the project explorer window, even though it's definitely there. So for example, my partners will be working on the project, and send me an updated version, which I rename when importing (using the import tool), but it doesn't show up, regardless of me refreshing.

Furthermore, when I try to drag in the components individually, into a newly created project file, for example, it'll ask me to over write (since it already exists). Why is this? And more importantly what am I doing wrong, and how do I remedy this issue?

Thanks in advance!
Re: Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update [message #1776676 is a reply to message #1776644] Mon, 20 November 2017 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure what you mean by "rename", but keep in mind that a project folder has a .project file with the name for the project as used when the project is in an Eclipse workspace, so renaming the folder without changing the name in the .project file might well prevent you from importing it in a workspace that already has a project with that name.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update [message #1777724 is a reply to message #1776676] Sun, 03 December 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh got it!
So what's the best way to import a project file if I have a previous version of it imported already?

What I mean is that I worked on a project, then uploaded it to a cloud drive, then my partner worked on it, then I downloaded it to work on his updated version ... but when I try to import it, even though it says imported, the new version won't show, so I'm ending up creating a whole new project file and then dragging all the components into it.

Is there a quicker/easier way to do this? There must be.
Re: Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update [message #1777725 is a reply to message #1776676] Sun, 03 December 2017 07:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh got it!
So what's the best way to import a project file if I have a previous version of it imported already?

What I mean is that I worked on a project, then uploaded it to a cloud drive, then my partner worked on it, then I downloaded it to work on his updated version ... but when I try to import it, even though it says imported, the new version won't show, so I'm ending up creating a whole new project file and then dragging all the components into it.

Is there a quicker/easier way to do this? There must be.
Re: Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update [message #1777727 is a reply to message #1777725] Sun, 03 December 2017 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Get a Github account and use EGit. Both are free and are designed exactly for this purpose. Otherwise, delete the old project (without deleting the underlying project in the file system), rename/remove/move the folder in the underlying file system, and then import the other version you got from someone else.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: Newly Imported Projects Not Showing After Update [message #1777728 is a reply to message #1777727] Sun, 03 December 2017 08:37 Go to previous message
Will do. This project is just about wrapped up, so we'll use GitHub for the next one. It's about time for me to jump on there anyway...

Thanks!
Previous Topic:What does Google Crome proposed code blocking mean for Java EE Tomcat development
Next Topic:Runnable JAR file export | JAR creation failed.
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 20:58:12 GMT 2024