Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » P2 » My RCP does not detect updates from my update site
My RCP does not detect updates from my update site [message #1776516] Fri, 17 November 2017 08:35 Go to next message
Jim 20100 is currently offline Jim 20100Friend
I try to publish an update site, and my eclipse RCP does not detects the update of my features.

When I click on check for updates: No update found
When I tried to install a new features: I can select my 1.0.1 version of my plugin, but after the next it says:
Your original request has been modified.
"Sales - Quoting - Data" is already installed, so an update will be performed instead.
Cannot complete the install because of a conflicting dependency.

I changed the version of my features to 1.0.1 and my plugin inside the feature to 1.0.1

What is wrong?

Another question: in my update site project, I don't understand the site.xml actions?
When I click to rebuild all, it does not delete all previous features etc.
When I click to synchronize, I don't know what is going on, I could guess that it would find new version of features or something like that but nothing is changed?

What are all the files generated: content.jar, artifacts.jar, etc. ?
As I did not understand I deleted all files and redo again my site.xml, otherwise in my RCP I can see a mix between previous features and new features.
That is a bit the mess for the moment.

Re: My RCP does not detect updates from my update site [message #1776742 is a reply to message #1776516] Tue, 21 November 2017 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
Update sites are long deprecated in favour of p2. The content.jar and artifacts.jar files are generated by p2 to turn your update site into a p2 repository.

p2 assumes that a bundle or feature with the same ID and version are identical. For p2 to realize you have a new bundle or feature, you need to increment your version number. See the p2 FAQ.
Re: My RCP does not detect updates from my update site [message #1776854 is a reply to message #1776742] Wed, 22 November 2017 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jim 20100 is currently offline Jim 20100Friend
Hi,

That is so strange that I am not able to package my RCP correctly.
I want to do a quite simple stuff: package my EMF application and be able to update it via an update site. It is so complicated...because we can find different infos on the web.

I have a list of plugin and finally I defined 4 features:
- sales data feature (my data feature)
- sales runtime feature (my EMF models etc.)
- system (my system plugins)
- runtime feature (this contains plugins and features of the eclipse platform: org.eclipse.platform, etc.)

my product file uses this:
<product name="%productName" id="org.eclipse.platform.ide" application="org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench" version="1.0.0.qualifier" useFeatures="true" includeLaunchers="true">

I made so much trials in my product. I exported the product and then tried to update my feature "sales data" to 1.0.1

TRIAL 1
Put my 4 features as it is
result: I can start my eclipse product.
check for updates said: no updates found
install a new software: I can find my data 1.0.1 but error because it is already installed

TRIAL 2
Put my 4 features as it is, but put the installMode="root" in the product on my data feature only
check for updates said: no updates found, so Why?????
install a new software: I can find my data 1.0.1 and I can install it

TRIAL 3
Put my 4 features as it is, but put the installMode="root" in the product on all 4 features
The application does not start with: Application "org.eclipse.ui.ide.workbench" could not be found in the registry
it seems that no plugins are included in the exported product

TRIAL 4
Create a 5th feature including all 4 features. So in my product, I put only this feature with installMode="root"
same result as TRIAL 3

I made as well trials by adding branding etc etc

I am not able to export a valid product with a possibility to update correctly each feature...
That makes me a bit angry after several days...
It should be so simple...

Re: My RCP does not detect updates from my update site [message #1776888 is a reply to message #1776854] Wed, 22 November 2017 14:24 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
It's hard to diagnose anything without any real snippets. I'd suggest appending a ".qualifier" to your feature and plugin versions: it will be replaced with a timestamp which will help ensure your artifacts are different between builds.

It sounds like you're using the built-in product export? I'd first convert your build to use Tycho. PDE's export unfortunately makes build problems notoriously hard to diagnose.

And look at the Eclipse Packaging Project (EPP) products for working examples.

The installRoot="true" seems the right thing to do. My guess is that some of your features pull in each other? Remember a feature pulls in exact versions of plugins and features specified in the Included Plug-ins and Included Features tabs, which means that the feature can only be updated with their other features. If you want to have relaxed versions, specify them using the Included Dependencies tab which allows for version ranges.
Previous Topic:My RCP does not detect updates from my update site
Next Topic:Older bundle version remain in plugin folder after update
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 12:11:07 GMT 2024