Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Complete Environment Export/Import(Settings (and i mean EVERYTHING))
Complete Environment Export/Import [message #1776477] Thu, 16 November 2017 18:54 Go to next message
Jaeden Ruiner is currently offline Jaeden RuinerFriend
Okay,

I am a Visual Studio user, so pardon my bias, but for my current project I am required to use Eclipse.

I have a version that I've been using in an isolated environment. I am now able to use a trusted environment and have had to reinstall everything on the different machine.

I want:
Theme (dark/light)
Editor Syntax Colors for ALL Languages, JSP, JS, java, html, etc,
Keyboard Preferences,
Window locations,
The ENTIRE ENVIRONMENT I spent hours configuring to my specifications, copied to the new machine and new install. In one click, load, import, etc, I want the two machines side by side to look and feel IDENTICAL.

Exporting preferences doesn't work.
Copying the "\eclipse\configuration" folder didn't work.
Copying the Workspace didn't work.

For some reason every time I start up Eclipse Instance "A" it seems to remember all of my settings, but I can't find them anywhere to import into Eclipse Instance "B".

(Visual studio does this with a single XML file and boom, my work VS2015 looks identical to my home VS2015, I could even import settings from VS2008 into VS2013, and thus into VS2015, etc, etc, etc).

Where is the simple way to do that in Eclipse.
Thanks
Jaeden "Sifo Dyas" al'Raec Ruiner
PS - We are using MARS if that is a factor.
Re: Complete Environment Export/Import [message #1776514 is a reply to message #1776477] Fri, 17 November 2017 08:31 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Oomph was designed with this type of purpose in mind, i.e., to the automate the process of provisioning an Eclipse development environment and even provisioning the workspace of that development environment. So for example you can define your own "product" by specifying a so called p2 task that describes exactly which things you want installed and from where to install them, i.e., the logical equivalent of Help -> Install New Software. There are so called preference tasks for setting preferences, so so on fore all the things you'd normally do manually. It can even be used to automatically clone git repositories, import projects into the workspace, and group them into working sets. Of course you need to author such a thing manually:
https://wiki.eclipse.org/Eclipse_Oomph_Authoring
But the advantage is that you can modify the Oomph setup description any time and then replicate it everywhere, rather than start from scratch again manually creating the installation and them manually propagating to your machines.

There is also File -> Export -> Install -> Installed Software Items to File which you can then import somewhere else to install the same things. Exporting workspace preferences often exports preference values that are specific to each machine, but other than that, this does generally work (for preferences that are workspace scoped).

Note that you'll get no support for the Mars version. You should use Oxygen unless there is some compelling reason to use an out-dated, unsupported version of Eclipse.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Error While Opening Eclipse
Next Topic:Where can I find my Tomcat server Error Logs?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 11:21:16 GMT 2024