Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » console view won't open(Console view on mac sierra)
console view won't open [message #1776382] Wed, 15 November 2017 22:11 Go to next message
bruce warren is currently offline bruce warrenFriend
When I run a simple "hello world" program, console view seems to flash, then disappears; there is a message logged saying "unhandled event loop exception".

If I go to window-show view and select 'console' same thing happens.

I uninstalled and downloaded latest; all settings at default. I also did a Window-Perspective-reset perspective.
Based on another suggestion, i've modified the .ini file to:
-Xms256m
-Xmx1024m

any thoughts?
Re: console view won't open [message #1776383 is a reply to message #1776382] Wed, 15 November 2017 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops: should have read -Xms512m and -Xmx2024m
Re: console view won't open [message #1776389 is a reply to message #1776383] Thu, 16 November 2017 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
You need to make a autoexec.cfg file in cs directory, with your fps_max command in there. CSGO will run the cfg when you open it, limiting it to 60fps (if 60 is indicated after fps_max)
Re: console view won't open [message #1776399 is a reply to message #1776389] Thu, 16 November 2017 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Priya, you appear to try to help with a daily post on the JDT forum, but I most often am left scratching my head whether what you say is actually related to the question being asked. You're post today seems particularly off kilter.

Bruce, is the Error Log view coming to the top, hiding the Console view. If you type "Console" in the "Quick Access" box (typically in the upper right just to the left of the perspective selection toolbar items), and choose Console (General), does that show the Console view? If you type "Error Log" in the "Quick Access" does the Error Log view show, and is there an error logged, related to your previously described problem. You can clear all the logged problems and try to run your program again to be sure the logged entry is produced from your action attempting to run your program (I assume it's Java). With the stack trace associated with this logged error, it's more likely someone can help you.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: console view won't open [message #1776407 is a reply to message #1776399] Thu, 16 November 2017 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

As Ed M writes, the Error Log View should provide some very helpful clues as to which component is bad. If you can't persuade the Error Log to view via Window->Show View->Error Log then you can see the same information in .metadata/.log in your Workspace.

"-Xms256m -Xmx1024m" were useful with Java <= 7. They are redundant with Java >= 8.

The latest Oxygen.1a and Photon.M3 code introduces Java 9 and JUnit 5 support. Both provide opportunities for obscure new problems. You don't mention what Java version you are using. Unless you really want to be bleeding edge you might hold off moving to Java 9 for a couple of months.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: console view won't open [message #1776421 is a reply to message #1776407] Thu, 16 November 2017 10:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Ed Willink wrote on Thu, 16 November 2017 09:47
"-Xms256m -Xmx1024m" were useful with Java <= 7. They are redundant with Java >= 8.

You seem to be referring to -XX:MaxPermSize ?
I am not aware of any change regarding -Xms and -Xmx (but all these are likely off topic for the issue at hand).
Re: console view won't open [message #1776476 is a reply to message #1776399] Thu, 16 November 2017 18:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rolled my installed Java back to Java 8; still have same problem.

As additional information, when I first installed Eclipse i could open Console, but only in one Perspective; now i have this problem. I've gone and under preferences put all back to defaults.

I've attached the error log associated with this.

For the record, i'm a newbie to Java (helping a FRC robotics team) but do have programming experience
Re: console view won't open [message #1776513 is a reply to message #1776476] Fri, 17 November 2017 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The log suggests there is a problem with the toolbar rendering:
org.eclipse.emf.common.util.AbstractEList$BasicIndexOutOfBoundsException: index=2, size=0
	at org.eclipse.emf.common.util.AbstractEList.add(AbstractEList.java:336)
	at org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.renderers.swt.ToolBarManagerRenderer.reconcileManagerToModel(ToolBarManagerRenderer.java:957)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.e4.compatibility.ActionBars.updateActionBars(ActionBars.java:99)
	at org.eclipse.ui.part.PageBookView.showPageRec(PageBookView.java:1007)
	at org.eclipse.ui.internal.console.ConsoleView.showPageRec(ConsoleView.java:164)

I wonder which version of Eclipse you have installed? If I had this problem, I would try opening a new empty workspace (importing the projects from the old workspace) and see if the problem happens there. Or perhaps quicker would be to try to Reset the perspective (the context menu on the Perspective toolbar button in the upper right).

Another totally brute force way to reset the workbench's UI state is to exit Eclipse, delete the file <workspace>/.metadata/.plugins/org.eclipse.e4.workbench/workbench.xmi and start the Eclipse again. This will reset the workbench model, including any layout, perspective or toolbar changes you've made, so that hopefully this rendering problem goes away.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: console view won't open [message #1776559 is a reply to message #1776513] Fri, 17 November 2017 17:17 Go to previous message
I've got Eclipse 4.7.1; I had previously Reset the perspective from the menu, but that did not work.

I deleted /.....workbench.xmi and it solved the problem.
Thank you!!
Previous Topic:Teacher and student has problem with debug running when he hits plays
Next Topic:Error, "computeCompletionProposals()"
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 22:23:16 GMT 2024