Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Papyrus for Real Time » determine elapsed time since creation of timer?
determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776373] Wed, 15 November 2017 18:44 Go to next message
Juergen Dingel is currently offline Juergen DingelFriend
Hi,

can timers be used to measure the time between the start of the timer
and the arrival of some message, i.e., is there a command that allows me
to determine what the current timer value is while the timer is active?

Thanks!

Juergen (having fun designing assignments ;-)
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776374 is a reply to message #1776373] Wed, 15 November 2017 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

I think this should work...but I don't have an environment on which to test it. Plus, Peter will probably come back with a better solution... ;-)
First, you need to store the timerID, which is returned when you set a timer.
From that timerID, you can get the timer using "timerID.getTimer()".
From this timer, you can get the due time ("timer.due") as an UMLRTTimespec
You can then use the operations defined on UMLRTTimespec to calculate the time elapsed or remaining time.
If you store the start time, you can then calculate the elapsed time.

/Charles (wishing he had more fun time to play with such things... :-(

/Charles Rivet
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776375 is a reply to message #1776373] Wed, 15 November 2017 19:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Charles Rivet is currently offline Charles RivetFriend

I think this should work...but I don't have an environment on which to test it. Plus, Peter will probably come back with a better solution... ;-)
First, you need to store the timerID, which is returned when you set a timer.
From that timerID, you can get the timer using "timerID.getTimer()".
From this timer, you can get the due time ("timer.due") as an UMLRTTimespec
You can then use the operations defined on UMLRTTimespec to calculate the time elapsed or remaining time.
If you store the start time, you can then calculate the elapsed time.

/Charles (wishing he had more fun time to play with such things... :-(

/Charles Rivet
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776378 is a reply to message #1776375] Wed, 15 November 2017 20:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto Posse is currently offline Ernesto PosseFriend
(UML-RT is not kiltera ;))

Currently the way to do this is using UMLRTTimespec. In your capsule define an attribute (say "time") of type UMLRTTimespec (from the RTS model library). Then, in action code you set a timer something like this:

timing.informIn(UMLRTTimespec(sec, nsec));   // sec and nsec could be constants or attributes of type long.
UMLRTTimespec::getclock(&time);   // here time is the attribute to keep track of time.

Then, in the action triggered by the message you could have something like this:

UMLRTTimespec now;
UMLRTTimespec::getclock(&now);
UMLRTimespec diff = now - time;

And then you can access the timespec attributes (tv_sec and tv_nsec of type long) or use other operations from UMLRTTimespec.

And as Charles points out, you can use the UMLRTTimerId to get a UMLRTTimer from which you can get the due time. This can be useful as you can pass around the UMLRTTimerId between capsules.

[Updated on: Wed, 15 November 2017 20:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776549 is a reply to message #1776378] Fri, 17 November 2017 15:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks, Ernesto and Charles.

This appears to work as you say on Linux.

However, in Windows under Cygwin, 'getClock' does not seem to work right.

Imagine the PingPong example and suppose you grab the current time when the very first 'ping' is sent in the initial transition of the Pinger (i.e., the first code snippet in Ernesto's response is executed). Then, the current time is grabbed again when a 'pong' arrives (i.e., the second code snippet is executed in the transition triggered by 'pong'). On Windows/cygwin, the difference is always 0:

$ ./TopMain.exe
Controller "DefaultController" running.
Starting game
ping sent!
Ponger is ready
Ponger: Ping received!
Ponger: pong sent!
Pinger: Pong received!
Pinger: startTime sec: 1510930750
Pinger: startTime nsec: 953561000
Pinger: now sec: 1510930750
Pinger: now nsec: 953561000
Pinger: diff sec: 0
Pinger: diff nsec: 0
Pinger: ping sent!
Ponger: I'm done

Again, on Linux the behaviour is what you would expect, suggesting that 'getClock' does not work right on Windows/cygwin...

Since 'getClock' is probably used elsewhere, I wonder what this means for the timer service on Windows in general...

Juergen
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776560 is a reply to message #1776549] Fri, 17 November 2017 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... interesting.

The timing service, and getclock in particular, depend on the underlying platform's timing service. The RTS was developed with Linux as its main target, and so it was less tested on other platforms, including Windows.

This is only a guess, but I think it is possible that Cygwin's implementation of the standard time services is incorrect. In the past I've encountered cases where Cygwin's libraries were incomplete or yielded incorrect results. On the linux implementation, getclock uses "gettimeofday" from the standard C time.h header. On Windows it uses "GetSystemTime" from "Windows.h". So maybe Cygwin's implementation of that function is incorrect? Or, if the Cygwin build uses the linux headers, its implementation of "gettimeofday" from time.h might be incorrect.

Unfortunately I cannot think of a workaround at the moment.

[Updated on: Fri, 17 November 2017 17:19]

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776578 is a reply to message #1776560] Fri, 17 November 2017 20:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've done a bit more investigation and getclock seems to work correctly for me on Windows with Cygwin. See the attached model. Can you compile it and run it to see if you get the same behaviour as I do?

The model consists of a Top capsule with a part of type Capsule1. In its initial state, Capsule1 sets a timer and waits for a message m from Top, so there are two transitions from Capsule1::State1, one triggered by the message m and one by the timeout. The Top capsule sets a timer in its initial state, and waits for its timeout. On timeout, Top send message m to capsule1.

The initial delays for both Top and Capsule1 are passed via the command-line. The arguments are as follows:

./TopMain.exe -u <top-delay> <capsule1-delay>

So if <top-delay> is less than <capsule1-delay>, then Capsule1 gets the message and ends in State2. Otherwise, Capsule1 timesout and ends in State3. You can compare the outputs to confirm this behaviour. Each line in the log includes a timestamp, so you can see that the delays are non-zero and match the delays provided as expected.

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776613 is a reply to message #1776578] Sat, 18 November 2017 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The model gives me a validation error:

> The required feature 'RTCppProperties::ArtifactProperties::sourceFile' of 'ArtifactProperties' must be set <<ArtifactProperties>> <Artifact> UtilityMacros ElapsedTime EMF Problem
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776701 is a reply to message #1776613] Mon, 20 November 2017 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That validation rule is a bit overzealous. You can generate code and compile it without worrying about that error.
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776710 is a reply to message #1776701] Mon, 20 November 2017 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Peter Cigehn is currently offline Peter CigehnFriend
Ernesto Posse wrote on Mon, 20 November 2017 15:07
That validation rule is a bit overzealous. You can generate code and compile it without worrying about that error.

I would not really say that it is the validation rule that is overzealous. The RTCppProperties profile should probably define the stereotype attributes that actually are optional to have multiplicity [0..1], i.e. to clearly indicate that they are optional and can be left unset. As it looks now several stereotype attributes in the RTCppProperties profile have multiplicity [1], which causes this validation rule to kick in when a model is validated and you have those stereotype attributes left unset. But there are other attributes that indeed have multiplicity [0..1] so maybe there are just a few attributes that have been overlooked.

Anyway, maybe something to be considered as a future improvement to the RTCppProperties profile.

/Peter Cigéhn

[Updated on: Mon, 20 November 2017 16:00]

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776713 is a reply to message #1776710] Mon, 20 November 2017 16:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Right. What I meant by saying that the rule is overzealous is that you can generate code (compilable code) even if the "sourceFile" attribute in ArtifactProperties is not set, and this addresses the issue with this particular model. I often do this whenever I need only a header file. So I think this property should indeed have multiplicity [0..1]. Indeed, it should be considered for improvement.
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776737 is a reply to message #1776713] Mon, 20 November 2017 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ernesto, Charles, and Peter,

I was able to deal with the validation error (change value of 'sourceFile' attribute
in 'UtilityMacros' from 'NULL' to ' ' (i.e., space character).

Also, thanks for the model, because it shows me how to pass command line
arguments into a model execution --- a question that I've had for a long time.

Ernesto's model appears to work fine on Windows and exhibit the expected behaviour.
However, only if the difference between the two arguments is on the order of seconds:
$ ./TopMain.exe -u 1 2
[17490 d; 22 h; 18 m; 46 s; 757 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State1) starting
[Top](State1) 2 user arguments provided
[Top](State1) user-provided delay = 1
[Top](State1) delay used = 1 sec
[17490 d; 22 h; 18 m; 46 s; 757 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State1) waiting
[Capsule1](State1) 2 user arguments provided
[Capsule1](State1) user-provided delay = 2
[Capsule1](State1) delay used = 2 sec
[17490 d; 22 h; 18 m; 47 s; 787 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State2) sending message to 'capsule1'
[17490 d; 22 h; 18 m; 47 s; 787 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State2) message received
Unexpected message to capsule instance Top.capsule1 role capsule1 on port timing protocol Timing signal timeout

If the difference is less than a second, Capsule 1 ends up in state State3:
$ ./TopMain.exe -u 1 1.99
[17490 d; 22 h; 20 m; 42 s; 795 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State1) starting
[17490 d; 22 h; 20 m; 42 s; 795 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State1) waiting
[Capsule1](State1) user-provided delay = 1.99
[Capsule1](State1) delay used = 1 sec
[17490 d; 22 h; 20 m; 43 s; 825 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State2) sending message to 'capsule1'
[17490 d; 22 h; 20 m; 43 s; 825 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State3) timed out
Unexpected message to capsule instance Top.capsule1 role capsule1 on port p protocol Protocol1 signal m

When running the attached model (which produced the output in my previous post) on Linux,
the 'getClock' service shows a clock advance even after just only one round of 'ping, pong'.
On Windows under Cygwin, at least 150 rounds are needed, before a clock advance between
the very first 'ping' and the very last 'pong' can be detected.

So, the value of 'getclock' on Windows/Cygwin seems reliable only in the seconds range.

Thanks for your help!

Juergen
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776782 is a reply to message #1776737] Tue, 21 November 2017 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm afraid that's a misleading result. It's just an artifact resulting from the fact that in the example I use the C library function "atol" (string to long) to convert the command-line arguments to numbers (see the TimingUtil::getDelayFromCmdLineImpl method).

I used long and only seconds because the API for Timespec accepts only seconds and nanoseconds.

I'll update the model to rule out this as a potential cause.
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776800 is a reply to message #1776782] Tue, 21 November 2017 18:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've updated the model to allow for delays of type double. See the attached model.

As you can see, I get the correct behaviour, even when the delays are fractional:

tester@eposse-win7vm /cygdrive/e/papyrus-rt/models/ElapsedTime_CDTProject/build
$ ./TopMain.exe -u 1 1.99
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 5 s; 978 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State1) starting
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 5 s;@][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State1) waiting
[Capsule1](State1) delay used = 1.99 sec
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 7 s; 72 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State2) sending message to 'capsule1'
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 7 s; 72 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State2) message received
Unexpected message to capsule instance Top.capsule1 role capsule1 on port timing protocol Timing signal timeout

tester@eposse-win7vm /cygdrive/e/papyrus-rt/models/ElapsedTime_CDTProject/build
$ ./TopMain.exe -u 2 1.99
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 56 s; 473 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State1) starting
[Top](State1) user-provided delay = 2
[Top](State1) delay used = 2 sec
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 56 s; 473 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State1) waiting
[Capsule1](State1) delay used = 1.99 sec
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 58 s; 489 ms][Top.capsule1:Capsule1::capsule1[0]](State3) timed out
[17491 d; 18 h; 8 m; 58 s; 489 ms][Top:Top::(no role)[0]](State2) sending message to 'capsule1'
Unexpected message to capsule instance Top.capsule1 role capsule1 on port p protocol Protocol1 signal m

So that rules out precision as the problem on my end.

Can you try the updated version to double-check?

Could you also share your model?
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776802 is a reply to message #1776800] Tue, 21 November 2017 18:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And one more thing to check: I noticed that in your previous messages, you referred to the "getClock" function, whereas my example was with "getclock" (note the lowecase 'c'). The former is deprecated, and in fact it doesn't link to anything. Could you confirm that you are using "getclock" and not "getClock"?
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776873 is a reply to message #1776802] Wed, 22 November 2017 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, the new model is more precise. On Windows, it appears to be able to tell the difference between 0.98 sec and 1 sec reliably. For
$ ./TopMain.exe -u 0.983 1

I get non-deterministic behaviour, i.e., sometimes the end state is 'State2', sometimes 'State3'.

Ok, but now I still don't know why in my model (attached previously), on Linux a non-zero delay can be measured after just one round of 'ping,pong', while on Windows, I appear to need over 150 (see above).

And, no, the model uses 'getclock'.

Juergen
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776896 is a reply to message #1776873] Wed, 22 November 2017 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
In this particular model (mine) non-determinism is possible. If the difference between Top's delay and Capsule1's timeout is small enough, there may be a race condition. This is not entirely unexpected since, after all, UML-RT and the runtime are for soft real-time, not hard real-time. Nevertheless, I am somewhat surprised that this would occur with a difference of 0.02 sec. I would expect the RTS to be much faster than that, but we would need to do some more serious profiling.

I'll take a closer look at your model.

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1776911 is a reply to message #1776896] Wed, 22 November 2017 17:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After some experiments, I also observed the non-determinism on Linux, but that in Linux this happens with higher precision than on Windows/Cygwin. Like you, on Cygwin, a difference of less than 0.02 seconds caused a race, but on Linux it seemed to be about 0.001 seconds for the race to occur.

This might indeed be dependent on the underlying platform. When building on Cygwin, the build is treated as if it was on Linux, i.e., using Cygwin's Linux-like toolchain: gcc + make, rather than VisualStudio. This means that the underlying libraries used are Cygwin's libraries, which are supposed to be POSIX compliant. For this toolchain, getclock uses "gettimeofday" from <sys/time.h>. According to the official POSIX specs [1]:

Quote:

The gettimeofday() function shall obtain the current time, expressed as seconds and microseconds since the Epoch, and store it in the timeval structure pointed to by tp. The resolution of the system clock is unspecified.

So it is indeed possible that on Cygwin that resolution is different.

Now, with respect to your model, I think it's not a bug, but it's actually expected behaviour, since there is no delay between the pinger sending a ping and getting a pong back. Well, there is a delay, but it is pretty minimal, and the low resolution of gettimeofday may explain why it shows 0 nsec: the time it takes the runtime to deliver the message to the receiver (both of which are on the same controller thread) and execute the associated actions on the receiver (which also sends a message back) is probably smaller than the system's gettimeofday resolution.

To check, I modified the model (see attachment) by adding a response delay on ponger. When Ponger gets a message, it goes into a new HitBack state where it sets a timer for half a second (5e+8 nsec), and only then it sends a pong back. The resulting trace can be seen below. Note that the value of 'diff' is incremented as expected (the difference is from the start time, and startTime is never updated, so diff gets the values 0.5 sec, 1 sec, 1.5 sec, 2 sec).

tester@eposse-win7vm /cygdrive/c/Users/tester/Desktop/Papyrus-RT 1.0/ws1/TimeElapsedExample1_CDTProject/build
$ ./TopMain.exe
Starting game
ping sent!
Ponger is ready
Pinger: startTime sec: 1511372026
Pinger: startTime nsec: 134914000
Pinger: now sec: 1511372026
Pinger: now nsec: 634914000
Pinger: diff nsec: 500000000
Pinger: now sec: 1511372027
Pinger: now nsec: 134914000
Pinger: diff sec: 1
Pinger: now sec: 1511372027
Pinger: now nsec: 634914000
Pinger: diff nsec: 500000000
Pinger: now sec: 1511372028
Pinger: now nsec: 134914000
Pinger: diff sec: 2
Unexpected message to capsule instance Top.pinger role pinger on port timing protocol Timing signal timeout

tester@eposse-win7vm /cygdrive/c/Users/tester/Desktop/Papyrus-RT 1.0/ws1/TimeElapsedExample1_CDTProject/build
$

If my theory about the actions taking negligible time w.r.t. the timing resolution is correct, I wonder why the time difference would show up on Linux in the original model. Can you share a trace of the original model on Linux to see what kind of differences are you observing on Linux?

[1] http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9699919799/

[Updated on: Wed, 22 November 2017 18:05]

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777124 is a reply to message #1776911] Fri, 24 November 2017 17:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The trace of Ernesto's modified model (ponger delays response by 0.5sec) on Linux suggests that the timing is remarkably precise: the nsec difference is either 500000000 or 0.

On Windows, that kind of precision does not appear to be there:
$ ./TopMain.exe
Starting game
ping sent!
Ponger is ready
Pinger: startTime sec: 1511545678
Pinger: startTime nsec: 656631000
Pinger: now sec: 1511545679
Pinger: now nsec: 176632000
Pinger: diff nsec: 520001000
Pinger: now sec: 1511545679
Pinger: now nsec: 676633000
Pinger: diff nsec: 20002000
Pinger: now sec: 1511545680
Pinger: now nsec: 186633000
Pinger: diff nsec: 530002000
Pinger: now sec: 1511545680
Pinger: now nsec: 696634000
Pinger: diff nsec: 40003000
Unexpected message to capsule instance Top.pinger role pinger on port timing protocol Timing signal timeout

The second diffs grow as expected, but the nanosecond diffs are different: e.g., '520001000' vs 50000000' for the first measurement. After that, the difference grows larger, because I guess it compounds.

I'll ask Nicolas to post the trace of the execution of the original model on Linux...

Juergen
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777125 is a reply to message #1777124] Fri, 24 November 2017 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually my trace was on Cygwin. But yes, it does look very precise.

I'm trying to get Cygwin's libgcc sources to check its implementation of gettimeofday.

Which version of Cygwin are you using? And in Cygwin which version of gcc?

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777136 is a reply to message #1777125] Fri, 24 November 2017 20:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas Hili is currently offline Nicolas HiliFriend
Hi,

I tried Ernesto's model. Here is the trace that is produced on Linux:

nicolas@nicolas-laptop:~/eclipse/papyrus-rt-user-1.0/ws-models/TimeElapsedExample1_CDTProject/src$ ./TopMain 
Starting game
ping sent!
Ponger is ready
Pinger: startTime sec: 1511553623
Pinger: startTime nsec: 775464000
Pinger: now sec: 1511553624
Pinger: now nsec: 276246000
Pinger: diff nsec: 500782000
Pinger: now sec: 1511553624
Pinger: now nsec: 776629000
Pinger: diff nsec: 1165000
Pinger: now sec: 1511553625
Pinger: now nsec: 277411000
Pinger: diff nsec: 501947000
Pinger: now sec: 1511553625
Pinger: now nsec: 778213000
Pinger: diff nsec: 2749000

It looks more like Juergen's trace than Ernesto's. One interesting thing though. the diff nsec value radically changes quite a lot. It ranges between 1ms and 0.5s (which is quite huge). Particularly, these two values seem incorrect...

nicolas@nicolas-laptop:~/eclipse/papyrus-rt-user-1.0/ws-models/TimeElapsedExample1_CDTProject/src$ ./TopMain 
Pinger: diff nsec: 500782000
Pinger: diff nsec: 501947000

Nicolas
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777139 is a reply to message #1777136] Fri, 24 November 2017 21:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
>> Which version of Cygwin are you using? And in Cygwin which version of gcc?

$ uname -a
CYGWIN_NT-6.1 dingel420s 2.7.0(0.306/5/3) 2017-02-12 13:18 x86_64 Cygwin
$ gcc --version
gcc (GCC) 5.4.0
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777142 is a reply to message #1777136] Fri, 24 November 2017 22:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you may be misinterpreting the result. The startTime variable is never updated so each time the difference is computed it is from the first time it was measured, hence the value of diff is approx 0.5 sec, 1 sec, 1.5 sec, 2 sec. With less precision, the error accumulates.

Granted, my measurements seem a bit too precise, but yours are approximately similar, albeit with less precision, but not in the order of 0.5sec.

To be sure, we should update the model to reset startTime each time a ping is received. Then we could get some difference, but it shouldn't accumulate.

Nicolas, which Linux are you using? and what's your cpu and clock speed?
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777143 is a reply to message #1777139] Fri, 24 November 2017 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also have Cygwin 6.1 but I have gcc 6.4. Perhaps that makes a difference. How about your hardware? Which processor and clock speed?
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777147 is a reply to message #1777143] Sat, 25 November 2017 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nicolas Hili is currently offline Nicolas HiliFriend
On my end, i5 7200U 2.5GHz. I am running Ubuntu 16.10.

Nicolas
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777490 is a reply to message #1777147] Wed, 29 November 2017 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been digging a bit into Cygwin's sources about this, and I found a few interesting things. First, Cygwin does not port glibc (the GNU C Library) but has its own implementation called "newlib". This one implements "gettimeofday". Tracking the source of this is extremely tricky. There seem to be several alternatives, some written in Assembly. But I tracked down one that looks like the right one, and it ultimately calls the following:

static inline void __attribute__ ((always_inline))
get_system_time (PLARGE_INTEGER systime)
{
  wincap.has_precise_system_time ()
  	? GetSystemTimePreciseAsFileTime ((LPFILETIME) systime)
	: GetSystemTimeAsFileTime ((LPFILETIME) systime);
}

and the value of wincap.has_precise_system_time is defined in a file called "winsup/cygwin/wincap.cc". The interesting thing about this is that it defines this value as true or false depending on the version of Windows that you have. For Windows Vista, and Windows 7, the value is false, but for Windows 8 and 10 it is true.

So, I'm guessing that you would get better results in Windows 8 and 10. Did you run your tests on Windows 7 or Vista?

@Nicolas: did you try the Linux tests by resetting the startTime value after each reception to see if you still get accumulated errors?

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777687 is a reply to message #1777490] Fri, 01 December 2017 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wow, you sure did some digging there! And, you are right, I am (still) using Windows 7. As Nicolas would say: Yet another reason to switch to Linux ;-)
So, to conclude: timing on using cygwin under Windows 7 and Vista is not particularly precise. I'll keep that in mind when I design assignments ;-)

Thanks for your help

Juergen
Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777697 is a reply to message #1777687] Fri, 01 December 2017 17:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Indeed, Windows 7 is not very precise. I would add a few more conclusions:

1) Timing behaviour depends on the underlying platform.
2) Neither Windows Vista nor 7, nor even the more precise 8 and 10, nor standard Linux nor macOS are real-time operating systems.
3) UML-RT is for soft real-time systems, so modellers should understand that timing expectations are approximate, not exact.
4) Atomic actions can generally be considered to take negligible amount of time, typically less than the underlying platform and runtime's clock resolution (we do not yet support any RTOS). Of course, if you execute a lot of atomic actions, you will eventually start to notice that their execution time does accumulate.
5) The above applies for the "send" action as well, but since this action performs asynchronous message sending, the modeller cannot make any assumptions about how much time it will take to deliver the message. In small examples its execution may appear as instantaneous, but depending on the scale and the underlying platform, the delivery time may not be negligible.
6) If the intent of the modeller is to observe the time difference between the occurrence of events, this should be explicitly modelled using timers.

Anyway, it's been an interesting issue. Perhaps we should put this list in the wiki somewhere.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2017 17:07]

Re: determine elapsed time since creation of timer? [message #1777703 is a reply to message #1777697] Fri, 01 December 2017 18:43 Go to previous message
And one more thing. I found the following relevant reference about time in the GNU C Library:

ftp://ftp.gnu.org/old-gnu/Manuals/glibc-2.2.3/html_chapter/libc_21.html

As I said, Cygwin doesn't use glibc, but it tries to emulate it, and the definitions in this reference are still valid.

The section on "Processor and CPU time" seem particularly relevant.

[Updated on: Fri, 01 December 2017 18:45]

Previous Topic:Is there a way to to assign command line parameters to capsule attributes?
Next Topic:Can't syncronize code to uml file
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 04:29:47 GMT 2024