Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes
Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775866] Tue, 07 November 2017 11:20 Go to next message
Alexander Fuchs is currently offline Alexander FuchsFriend
Hi,

we are using Papyrus (currently 3.1.0.201709130748) to edit an UML Model which makes use of custom Stereotypes provided in our custom profile.

We use the Papyrus Model Explorer to navigate the model.
We use the Profile tab in the Properties view to edit model elements.
Unfortunately, the window in the Profile tab which contains the Applied Stereotypes is very small. It can show only up to eight Properties of a Stereotype at the same time, but our Stereotypes can have up to 20. See attached screenshot.

This is quite a detriment to our productivity: We don't have the complete picture of the property settings at one glance, and we have to scroll quite often to find specific properties.

Is there a possibility to extend the size of this window?

We also tried a custom property view, as described in http://help.eclipse.org/oxygen/index.jsp?topic=%2Forg.eclipse.papyrus.views.properties.doc%2Ftarget%2Fgenerated-eclipse-help%2Fproperties-view.html&cp=79_1_0. Unfortunately, this view is to slow with our model: it easily takes up to ten seconds on first use, with similar pauses on further uses. Thus it is not that good for productivity eather. Furthermore, we have to regenerate it with each change of the profile.

Is there any better option we could use to edit the Stereotypes and their properties? Better as in: all properties visible at one glance and editable with a reasonable performance.

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775872 is a reply to message #1775866] Tue, 07 November 2017 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Alex,

There is no easy solution to this issue, but I can give you a few leads:

- The performance issue in Papyrus 3.1.x will be "mostly fixed" in 3.2.x (i.e. you'll get the same performances you did in 2.x, or even slightly faster, which is not 100% fluid but should be still be displayed in hundreds of milliseconds rather than tens of seconds). 3.2.x will be released in December this year
- You may split your properties in different tabs, to avoid having to load everything at the same time. This requires more clicks for the user, but if you have so many properties, I believe grouping would make sense anyway
- You may implement a custom properties tab. The main performance issue in generated Papyrus properties views is related to the layout (Which only gets worse with a high number of items). That's because the layout is generated more or less dynamically and has to work with minimal user intervention in many different cases; so it's easy to use but not so efficient. If you provide your own implementation, you can easily provide a simple and efficient layout. Papyrus uses the Eclipse Tabbed Properties View framework, so you can use the standard Eclipse extension points to implement something suited to your needs. If you mostly use primitive properties (Without references or lists), it should be relatively straightforward (Especially if you know a little bit about EMF already)

Although I don't recommend using a Nightly build, you can still try it out to see if it solves your performance issue:

http://download.eclipse.org/modeling/mdt/papyrus/updates/nightly/oxygen/

HTH,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775873 is a reply to message #1775866] Tue, 07 November 2017 12:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Benoit Maggi is currently offline Benoit MaggiFriend
Hi,

The way to go is custom property view (if you have to many properties you should split to different tabs)

A patch for performance in property view has been merged for Oxygen branch and will be available in Oxygen.2 (December)
More information here:
https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=521729

Regards,
Benoit
Re: Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775882 is a reply to message #1775872] Tue, 07 November 2017 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

thanks for the hints.

So based on your recomendations I tried todays nightly build, but I did not see any improvements.

For the recomendation of splitting the properties of our custom property view in different tabs: this definitely makes sense in some contexts, and we have started doing for other reasons so. But I do not think this applies to all our contexts and will not happen in the near future anyway.

But when analysing this I noticed that what really seems to be slowing down everything are Enumerations. That is, if for the slowest view if I remove all </ppe:EnumCombo> entires from the generated xwt File, the property view tab is basically immediately ready. If I keep all seven, it takes about 8 to 9 seconds. If I keep one, it takes already more than one second. So my guess is that each Enumeration property costs me about 1s.

Is this plausible? Is this a bug? Can I use some work-around?

Thanks,
Alex
Re: Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775883 is a reply to message #1775882] Tue, 07 November 2017 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Surely enlarging the Property View should make the container larger so that the scroll list expands to exploit the space? Maybe there is a fill layout bug.

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775884 is a reply to message #1775883] Tue, 07 November 2017 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Camille Letavernier is currently offline Camille LetavernierFriend
Hi Ed,

Quote:
Maybe there is a fill layout bug.

Yes, I'm pretty sure there is :) In this case, the layout is custom to Papyrus Properties View, and this layout is not 100% satisfying. Since it's a dynamic layout designed to work with generated properties views, it requires minimal configuration (No layout data, etc.). One consequence is that it is not as efficient (In terms of performances and visual results) as hand-coded SWT layouts.

Alex, there may indeed be a performance bug, either in the properties view or in the profile itself. Please report a ticket on Bugzilla so we can investigate the problem. Also, please specify whether you are using a static or dynamic profile (Do you generate Java code from the profile?), and whether you use an external profile library (Are your Enums defined in a UML Model imported by the profile?).

Cheers,
Camille

Camille Letavernier
Re: Property View too small to display Meta-Attributes [message #1775966 is a reply to message #1775884] Wed, 08 November 2017 16:12 Go to previous message
Hi,

thanks again for the help.

I filed some bug reports:

Unfortunately, today I could not reproduce that the performance problem is based on using enumerations.

Best,
Alex
Previous Topic:SYSMOD
Next Topic:Extend papyrus
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 23:54:42 GMT 2024