Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » .java file does not open in Java Editor
.java file does not open in Java Editor [message #1775755] Sun, 05 November 2017 16:27 Go to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
Using Eclipse Oxygen I have the absurd case here, that a specific .java source file does not open in the Java editor, i.e. if I double-click the file, nothing happens.
???

If I right-click and select "Open With" and then select e.g. Text Editor, Generic Text Editor or AspectJ/Java Editor it opens fine, but selecting Open With -> Java Editor yields no effect.

What the %$#@ can cause this absurd fault?

[Updated on: Sun, 05 November 2017 16:58]

Report message to a moderator

Re: .java file does not open in Java Editor [message #1775756 is a reply to message #1775755] Sun, 05 November 2017 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Michael Moser is currently offline Michael MoserFriend
I found the reason for this weird behavior!

I must somehow accidentally have managed to tear the Java-editor for this particular file off the normal eclipse window and move it off-screen.
Re-opening that .java file then probably just changed the keyboard focus to that that off-screen window but otherwise nothing (visible) happened on-screen.

Strange enough this off-screen-placement must have survived closing and reopening eclipse, i.e. when I tried to re-open that .java file after having terminating and restarting eclipse that window must again have opened off-screen and hence I had again the impression that the Java Editor did not open. I only noticed this when I just attached a larger screen to my laptop and suddenly spotted a corner of another eclipse window sitting there with said .java file.

I consider it a bug anyway (not only of eclipse...) that windows can be placed completely off-screen!
And even worse and absurd: that such placements are memorized and re-applied after restarting eclipse! ||-(

At least one border or corner of a window should ALWAYS remain visible on-screen, so that one grab it and pull it back onto the screen!
Re: .java file does not open in Java Editor [message #1775759 is a reply to message #1775756] Sun, 05 November 2017 19:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
Sounds like an issue of the operating system / window manager. On linux I frequently switch between single & multi display configurations, and most the time I have some views in a second window. Still all windows are always visible, the worst effect I see from this is: windows piled on top of each other. I assume it's my window manager that captures off-bounds windows and makes them visible. I seem to remember that Windows is lacking this exact functionality.
Note that memorizing window placement is an essential feature of eclipse in multi-display settings.
Re: .java file does not open in Java Editor [message #1775774 is a reply to message #1775759] Mon, 06 November 2017 08:49 Go to previous message
Eclipse UserFriend
"Windows" -> "New Window" seems to bring back the invisible editor view. Then just close the old one and restart eclipse to make sure it "remembers" the configuration.
Previous Topic:How to Debug Configurations, Java Application, Environment edit file? now is dialog don't easy.
Next Topic:Inverted SWT design?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:58:57 GMT 2024