Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » RCP Testing Tool » Random timeout errors on remote machines(TestRunner fails randomly in specific cases when the screen is not active)
Random timeout errors on remote machines [message #1775527] Tue, 31 October 2017 12:11 Go to next message
Hic LA is currently offline Hic LAFriend
This is another random error very weird.
When running test cases that open windows (one window may open another window) on a remote machine where a TestRunner is used with Jenkins, sometimes we have one of the following errors:

time: 1608172ms Cause: Execution timed out after 700 seconds

I guess the error is related to the whole execution but I wonder why the execution time is more than twice. We have set testExecTimeout=700
RCPTT TestRunner is running on Windows 64 bits, I can see in real time what is executing using a remote desktop connection but the window is minimized. When I notice (on the basis of logs) it is taking more time than expected to finish one test case, I open the remote desktop window and I can see it resumes the execution immediately. But it is not the case if I do not open the window (screen not active). Of course, there is nothing special in logs.
Any idea about this unexpected behavior?

Regards
Re: Random timeout errors on remote machines [message #1776242 is a reply to message #1775527] Tue, 14 November 2017 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viktoria Dlugopolskaya is currently offline Viktoria DlugopolskayaFriend
Hi Hicyo,

> I wonder why the execution time is more than twice
This is an expected RCPTT behavior -- real execution time can be greater than timeout value, because RCPTT doesn't kill the AUT immediately when it hangs.

> I can see in real time what is executing using a remote desktop connection but the window is minimized
The main AUT window can have small size due to default Jenkins screen resolution. When test execution starts, RCPTT blocks AUT UI, so you cannot change initial size of the window.
To use all available space you can maximize the window by adding 'get-eclipse-window | maximize' command to the beginning of a test or to a test context.

To investigate a cause of the timeout problem, you can look to the RCPTT report that is created at the end of the test execution. The report contains wait info details that show what jobs RCPTT waits for.
Re: Random timeout errors on remote machines [message #1779623 is a reply to message #1776242] Wed, 10 January 2018 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you Viktoria.
I generated the RCPTT report and this is the log obtained in the node corresponding to the problematic command (last one in the tree):

get-item "1024x768" Resolution time: 13 m 11 s
  Result: ERROR, message: get-item "1024x768" Resolution result is not set
        --> Wait details <--
                Method name                                                                      Time  
                automatic.expand.virtual: [1024x768#@&#@Resolution#@&#@]                         791468
                job: org.eclipse.ui.internal.Workbench.persistWorkbenchModel:1324                    34
                job: org.eclipse.core.internal.resources.DelayedSnapshotJob                          27
                sync: org.eclipse.e4.ui.services.internal.events.UIEventHandler.handleEvent:36        3
                job: org.eclipse.core.internal.events.AutoBuildJob                                    2
                sync: org.eclipse.rcptt.tesla.internal.ui.player.SWTUIPlayer.cleanMenus:2764          2
                timer (ignored): org.eclipse.ui.internal.progress.Throttler.lambda$0:54               1
                job: org.eclipse.core.internal.utils.StringPoolJob                                    1
                job: org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.ThreadJob                                         1

I have noticed that almost all timeout failures happen when executing get-item command on a table.
Re: Random timeout errors on remote machines [message #1779709 is a reply to message #1779623] Thu, 11 January 2018 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would like to add some new remarks.
- I could reproduce the problem in my local machine by minimizing the AUT window (it remains minimized during the execution)
- It seems that it affects only virtual tables
- It seems it stucks in UISelector class.
Response response = player.safeExecuteCommand(cmd);

- In TeslaQStream, impossible to get the response in the method: readResponse()
while (response == null && active) {
	response = (Response) in.poll(TIMEOUT, TimeUnit.MILLISECONDS);
}

[Updated on: Thu, 11 January 2018 14:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Random timeout errors on remote machines [message #1780638 is a reply to message #1779709] Thu, 25 January 2018 07:48 Go to previous message
Tomasz Od is currently offline Tomasz OdFriend
Did you find a solution. I have similar problem in my project
Previous Topic:Get specific item from canvas using rcptt tool
Next Topic:Starting AUT from script
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 22:32:24 GMT 2024