Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » RCP Testing Tool » RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7(Most probably related to NAT tables and GEF's)
RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1775237] Thu, 26 October 2017 15:17 Go to next message
keith davis is currently offline keith davisFriend
I've been having issues at the moment with rcptt 2.0.1 with regards to graphical editors and NAT-Tables on Red Hat 7. I was able to write and record test cases on RCPTT with Red Hat 6 64 bit - however these two parts do not seem to register correctly with RCPTT on RH7. I've attached an image of the two GUI items - "Capture_1" & "Capture_2". RCPTT appears to execute the line correctly and bring the test case to the correct tab in the GEF, however it does not seem to understand that it has done so and appears to hang on the front end. Even if I manually bring the AUT to the preffered GEF editor and attempt to execute a line further down the script, the contexts do not execute until I close the editor down.

The initial line being executed that brings about the issue is: "get-tab-folder | get-tab-item Canvas | click". After this is executed, the GUI appears to be non responsive. Also, In order to restart my test case, I've to close the editor in which the GEF resides. Otherwise, none of the preliminary contexts are able to be executed before the test script upon restart.

The last while, it has seemed as though the 2.2 version of RCPT tool on RH7 does not support graphical editors (or Triquetrum editor) although I was under the impression that it did. The tool has the capability to do so on RH664, but since our regression hosts utilize the RH7 OS - the tests need to be compatible with it.

Things I've attempted to do to debug/fix the issue

- I updated the RCPTT version from 2.0.1 to 2.2.0 in the hopes that maybe RH7 may not have been supported back when 2.0.1 was built. Unfortunately the issue still crops up.

- I looked to add an SWT java exception breakpoint, but I could not find anything to do so within RCPTT (obviously because it is ECL and not Java I guess). Also - additional to this, nothing is actually spat out in the error log after executing the command that causes it to hang. I only appear to have error log information from before the event. I did initially think it may be helpful as some aspects of the error log echoed things like _________ , but this appears to be an identical set of errors that were occurring even on the RH664 machines (which were not affected by this hanging issue).

- I've added debug print outs to the log preceding and following the particular lines execution. Interestingly, although the GUI appears to hang, the script still appears to continue on past the line and through assertions and the likes. Whether or not they are actually executed - I'm not sure - I just know that the script has gone further in the code due to the fact that the logs have been noted.

As far as I'm aware, the newer versions of RCPTT are supposed to work with GEFs and NATTables so maybe I'm missing a plugin or something. Does anyone have any idea how to fix this issue in order to get the tool up and running? I'd be delighted with any help.

Thanks in advance
Keith
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1775416 is a reply to message #1775237] Mon, 30 October 2017 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viktoria Dlugopolskaya is currently offline Viktoria DlugopolskayaFriend
Hi Keith,

1) Unfortunately, NATTables is not supported by RCPTT now (only Nebula Grid is supported)

2) The error on line 'get-tab-folder | get-tab-item Canvas | click' may be caused by GTK 3
To solve it try to add to application args (before '-vmargs') in AUT's eclipse.ini the following arg:
--launcher.GTK_version
And re-add the AUT. This lines should force AUT to use GTK 2.
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1776198 is a reply to message #1775416] Mon, 13 November 2017 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Viktoria,

Thanks for your reply - I'm actually already using GTK-2.

In case this may be more informative for you; my rcptt.ini contains the following:

-startup
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher_1.3.100.v20150511-1540.jar
--launcher.library
plugins/org.eclipse.equinox.launcher.gtk.linux.x86_64_1.1.300.v20150602-1417
-showsplash
org.eclipse.rcptt.platform
-nosplash
--launcher.GTK_version
-vm
/media/sf_shared_folder/product_test/jdk1.8.0_91/bin/java
-vmargs
-Xms128m
-Xmx768m
-XX:PermSize=128M
-XX:MaxPermSize=192M
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.browser.DefaultType=mozilla
-Dorg.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.cairoGraphics=false

Cheers,
Keith
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1776222 is a reply to message #1776198] Tue, 14 November 2017 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Viktoria Dlugopolskaya is currently offline Viktoria DlugopolskayaFriend
First, try to download the latest RCPTT 2.3.0 nightly build -- it contains a fix for '--launcher.GTK_version...' parameter processing. It is available here: https://eclipse.org/rcptt/download/
Also, you need to add '--launcher.GTK_version...' to your AUT's .ini file, because this parameter in rcptt.ini file cannot fix the problem.
After adding, verify if GTK 2 is really used in your AUT:
1) After adding AUT, there should be a 'SWT_GTK3=0' variable on the 'Environment' tab of the created launch configuration.
2) When AUT will be started from RCPTT IDE, open Help > About > Installation Details > Configuration, find 'org.eclipse.swt.internal.gtk.version' property, verify its value is '2.*.*'.

I hope it will help.
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1777237 is a reply to message #1776222] Mon, 27 November 2017 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Viktoria,

Thanks for your response. I was only able to get around to this a couple days ago! I've executed your instructions and validated it as you have suggested. The bug regarding the GTK versioning appears to be fixed, however it did not seem to resolve my issue. What's interesting is that it is possible to run tests on the graphical editing framework on RH6 64, but not RH5 64 or RH7 64 - could there be anything different there?
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1778702 is a reply to message #1777237] Wed, 20 December 2017 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Krzysztof Jozefowicz is currently offline Krzysztof JozefowiczFriend
Keith, RED Robot Editor uses RCPTT for functional tests. Tests are executed on RH7/Centos7x64 on daily basis, breifly we used RH6 without any issues as well. We use metacity,vncserver,xvfb on test machines (for building,junits and gui tests) with "Desktop with GUI" group package.

RED has elements in NAT table which are also tested with RCPTT (tricky but doable), check https://github.com/nokia/RED under tests->GuiTests->RcpttProjects/RedGuiTests->TableEditor , you may need to use arrows instead of clicking or invoke object methods on some elements.
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1782224 is a reply to message #1778702] Tue, 20 February 2018 16:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your response Krzysztof.

The RH7 incompatibility issue must be on our end so. We've also managed to work with NATTables by invoking java methods!

Thanks for your help
Re: RCPTT does not register that it has executed the command on RH7 [message #1827068 is a reply to message #1782224] Wed, 06 May 2020 14:55 Go to previous message
Jeff Dunn is currently offline Jeff DunnFriend
I am having issues also with the get-tab-folder causing a hang, I am however running windows. Also can you post some tips on how to use Java on nattable access ?
Previous Topic:Problem RCPTT with natTable for find my data
Next Topic:NatTable Support
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 03:38:45 GMT 2024