Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » Placeholders on Multi-Window(Making Placeholders to work on multi window.)
Placeholders on Multi-Window [message #1775051] Tue, 24 October 2017 08:38 Go to next message
Ovidiu Tomuta is currently offline Ovidiu TomutaFriend
Hello everyone.

I have a RCP application containing the following: a trimmed window, two perspectives, some shared elements(parts), partstacks and some placeholders.
I know the placeholders are used for a part that's going to be shared on multiple perspectives. It works fine when starting the application but there seem to be some problems when I'm opening a new window with the same perspectives (i.e. Window->New Window).

Has anyone succeded in making placeholders to work on multi-windows ?
What are your thoughts on this ? Thanks in advance.
Note: The parts are pretty simple, with no background dependecies or anything, just some labels, so I don't think that's the problem.

EDIT: so I found out the problem was that i was contributing with the shared elements to a trimmed window, which comes from another plugin. So my shared elements/placeholders where defined in a model fragment. The problem is that these elements do not attach to a newly created window, only to the initial one. I've tried specifying the "always" tag on the model fragment extension, but still no results. Any thoughts on this ?

[Updated on: Mon, 23 July 2018 13:14]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Placeholders on Multi-Window [message #1776091 is a reply to message #1775051] Fri, 10 November 2017 15:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
A placeholder is a link to an object that's visible elsewhere. Placeholders should never be visible themselves. So it only makes sense to have placeholders within a window, not between windows.
Re: Placeholders on Multi-Window [message #1776306 is a reply to message #1776091] Wed, 15 November 2017 09:02 Go to previous message
Ovidiu Tomuta is currently offline Ovidiu TomutaFriend
@Brian Yes I agree. A placeholder should only ref. to the views within it's window. But If I create then manually (using ModelService,PartService), when the main window gets duplicated (Window->New Window) the placeholders get cloned and they point to the views from the new window (the views don't sync. across windows) so this works just fine. My problem is that if I define the placeholders in the modelFragment.e4xmi, when a new window is created they don't attach to it like they would if I create them manually.
Previous Topic:Saving an dirty editor part fails in Neon.3 Release (4.6.3)
Next Topic:Pragmatically resize a view
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 07:53:58 GMT 2024