Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Eclipse 4 » My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating
My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating [message #1775004] Mon, 23 October 2017 12:09 Go to next message
Helio Lima Custódio da Silva is currently offline Helio Lima Custódio da SilvaFriend
When I create and export my E4 plugins to install in eclipse, my modifications don't show up at first.

I can only see my modifications in workspaces I create after I installed the plugin.

To see my modifications in old worksapaces, I have to manually delete workbench.xmi file (<MY_WORKSPACES_PATH>\.metadata\.plugins\org.eclipse.e4.workbench\workbench.xmi).

It does not matter if I export to "Deployable plug-ins and fragments" (copying to plugin folder) or "Deployable features" (installing it), it works all the same related to the workbench.xmi file issue.
I tried it with Eclipse Neon and Eclipse Oxygen last version.

I don't know if I am doing something wrong, if that is a knowing issue or the way it suppose to be.

I presume I am doing something wrong.
I would like a way to develop E4 plugins, without having to tell my final user to manually delete the workbench.xmi in their old workspaces to be able to use it.
Or each time they install an update or new plugins I release.

I am new with E4 plugins development, thanks for any help!!!
Re: My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating [message #1775017 is a reply to message #1775004] Mon, 23 October 2017 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dieter Engelhardt is currently offline Dieter EngelhardtFriend
Have you tried clearPersistedState=true in your config.ini
Re: My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating [message #1775080 is a reply to message #1775004] Tue, 24 October 2017 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Helio Lima Custódio da Silva is currently offline Helio Lima Custódio da SilvaFriend
Thnak you Dieter Engelhardt!

That worked!

Although I would not like to have to tell my final user "you have to set clearPersistedState=true in your config.ini" to use my plugin properly on all workspaces... or you have to manually delete workbench.xmi file...
That is the best answer I found so far!!!

[Updated on: Tue, 24 October 2017 12:22]

Report message to a moderator

Re: My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating [message #1775148 is a reply to message #1775004] Wed, 25 October 2017 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
After more tests I realised that both, delete workbench.xmi file and set clearPersistedState=true in your config.ini, produce undesired effects.

Reset screen postion, reset perspectives, views and don't keep opened files.
Re: My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating [message #1775256 is a reply to message #1775148] Thu, 26 October 2017 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
How are you including your workbench model additions? If using a fragment, be sure to look at the `apply` argument of the org.eclipse.e4.ui.workbench.model extension point. Perhaps you could copy it in here?
Re: My Eclipse E4 plugins only works with new workspaces, workbench.xmi not updating [message #1776167 is a reply to message #1775004] Mon, 13 November 2017 11:16 Go to previous message
Thank you Brian de Alwis, that was it! The apply property!!!
That totally solved my problem, that was exactly what I wanted!!!!

I just needed to set "apply" to "always" and it worked like a charm!

By default when you created a E4 plugin project in eclipse, it is created setting "apply" to "initial" (tests were made in neon version).
Previous Topic:How to programmatically add a new Part to a PartStack in a second window
Next Topic:Configure mapdb in eclipse smart home
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 05:18:19 GMT 2024