Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository(Fresh installation of eclipse mars is not able to connect to mars repository)
CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774655] Wed, 18 October 2017 10:57 Go to next message
Nicolas Krzywinski is currently offline Nicolas KrzywinskiFriend
Hi all,

in my fresh Eclipse Mars installation, I get the error attached when trying to contact the mars repository.
My system is behind a proxy, but the internal web browser works with the current proxy settings (native), as do other repositories.

I already searched for similar errors and tried the following proposals with no success:
- Delete the cache folder
- Reload the repository
- Add argument for ipv4 stack
- Manual proxy configuration

Due to an eclipse plugin that requires eclipse mars, I have no options of trying a different eclipse version.

The system is Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and is running in a virtual machine.
The host system is Ubuntu 16.04 on which an eclipse indigo is running well (installed by package manager). On the same system, a manual installation of eclipse oxygen suffers the same error than the eclipse mars installation in the windows 7 vm.

Therefore, it clearly seems to be a configuration problem. The package manager seems to have adjusted something that eclipse needs - but I have no clue how to find it out.

Any hints?

Thanks,
Nicolas
  • Attachment: .log
    (Size: 67.96KB, Downloaded 146 times)
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774681 is a reply to message #1774655] Wed, 18 October 2017 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
I'm not sure how bad this part is but it seems proxy related:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer 4 0 2017-10-18 12:34:21.358
!MESSAGE org.eclipse.core.runtime.Status[plugin=org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer;code=4;message=Warning: Platform proxy API not available;severity2;exception=java.lang.NullPointerException;children=[]]
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.net.ProxyManager.tryGetURI(ProxyManager.java:322)

Does the embedded browser within the IDE function?

I'm a bit concerned that it could be a server problem with transparent mirroring: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515596#c9

Perhaps attach your log to that Bugzilla and ask if there is a server problem...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774684 is a reply to message #1774681] Wed, 18 October 2017 15:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks wrote on Wed, 18 October 2017 15:06
I'm not sure how bad this part is but it seems proxy related:
!ENTRY org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer 4 0 2017-10-18 12:34:21.358
!MESSAGE org.eclipse.core.runtime.Status[plugin=org.eclipse.ecf.provider.filetransfer;code=4;message=Warning: Platform proxy API not available;severity2;exception=java.lang.NullPointerException;children=[]]
!STACK 0
java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.eclipse.core.internal.net.ProxyManager.tryGetURI(ProxyManager.java:322)

Yes, I also think it is proxy related

Does the embedded browser within the IDE function?

Yes, it works, as do other repositories!

I'm a bit concerned that it could be a server problem with transparent mirroring: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=515596#c9

Perhaps attach your log to that Bugzilla and ask if there is a server problem...

I don't know what transparent mirroring means, but I assume it doesn't matter if I know it... :D ... but, the bug report is closed already - should I still attach my log there?

Thank you for your help,
Nicolas
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774693 is a reply to message #1774684] Wed, 18 October 2017 16:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
The stack trace does appear to be redirection related, because normally metadata is fetched directly from the main host (download.eclipse.org), not from one of the mirrors so it seems to me to be something the server itself is doing... It won't hurt to attach the log and ask if perhaps there's a new problem with circular redirection by the server...

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774795 is a reply to message #1774693] Thu, 19 October 2017 16:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I uploaded my log there.

Meanwhile, is there any option to workaround this issue?
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774797 is a reply to message #1774795] Thu, 19 October 2017 17:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Denis Roy is currently offline Denis RoyFriend

Caused by: org.apache.http.client.CircularRedirectException: Circular redirect to 'http://ftp-stud.fht-esslingen.de/pub/Mirrors/eclipse/releases/mars/201506241002/content.xml.xz'

What I can imagine happening is that download.e.o redirects to the same mirror and if that mirror happens to be down or unreachable at that time, you're out of luck.

I'll propose a fix for the mirroring system: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=526280

Denis Roy
Eclipse Webmaster -- webmaster@eclipse.org
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774798 is a reply to message #1774797] Thu, 19 October 2017 17:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you! (I hope I didn't triggered spam mails to the bug recipients as I just wanted to add me to CC)
Let me know if I can do something to help...
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1774800 is a reply to message #1774798] Thu, 19 October 2017 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message

No spam at all, that's what the Bug tracker is for.

Thanks for the report!

Denis Roy
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1775106 is a reply to message #1774800] Tue, 24 October 2017 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meanwhile I tried the same installation on my business laptop on Windows 7. It failed with the same error, while being connected via the same LAN (this means via proxy) as the system I originally talked about.
Then I connected the laptop directly to the web ... and it worked without a problem!
Re: CircularRedirectException for Eclipse Mars Repository [message #1775116 is a reply to message #1775106] Tue, 24 October 2017 20:02 Go to previous message

So ... long ago your Proxy server received a 404 from that mirror and is caching that error on your LAN. Ick.

I don't know how we can resolve that.

Denis Roy
Previous Topic:How to export all the vocabulary in rule designer to a word document
Next Topic:Run on Server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:55:09 GMT 2024