Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » EGit / JGit » diff between master/PR branch and release branch
diff between master/PR branch and release branch [message #1774514] Mon, 16 October 2017 15:29 Go to next message
David M. Karr is currently offline David M. KarrFriend
I'm using 4.7.1a.

When I check out the master branch or a pull request branch, the operation of eGit seems normal. However, when I check out a release branch ("release/<number>"), I can only find the branch name in "Remote Tracking", I never get a "Pull" option on the menu, and it says it's in "detached head" state.

Is there something I need to do to make eGit work with release branches the same way it works with master and pull request branches?
Re: diff between master/PR branch and release branch [message #1774520 is a reply to message #1774514] Mon, 16 October 2017 19:10 Go to previous message
Matthias Sohn is currently offline Matthias SohnFriend
In git there are branches, remote tracking branches and tags.

In a repository having working tree (non-bare repository)
the current branch (the one HEAD refers to) moves as a result of the following commands:
* commit
* reset
* revert
* cherry-pick
* merge
* rebase
remote tracking branches move as result of a fetch command downloading new changes from another repository
E.g. when you run git fetch origin and some new commits arrive for the master branch, then the remote tracking
branch origin/master will move accordingly to match the master branch in the upstream repository.

In a bare repository a branch moves when new commits arrive as result of a push or fetch command.

Tags typically don't move, they are just created and can be transported to another copy of the repository using
push or fetch. In exceptional cases you can delete or move tags but typically you shouldn't as soon as the tag
was published to other developers.

I guess what you name release branches are in fact git tags. Hence you don't get the actions you expect for a branch.
Previous Topic:Adding file via LFS in JGit
Next Topic:Is it possible to use git merge.conflictstyle=diff3 in Eclipse?
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 02:43:44 GMT 2024