Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » PHP Development Tools (PDT) » How to setup PHP project using Eclipse Remote System Explorer
How to setup PHP project using Eclipse Remote System Explorer [message #1774191] Wed, 11 October 2017 13:44 Go to next message
Stefan D is currently offline Stefan DFriend
When working on the local machine I can simply setup a new PHP project within Ecplipse and everything works fine: Syntax highlighting, marking of occurrences, the refactor tool, etc.

However, now I not work the local machine but I use the `Remote System Explorer` in `Eclipse Oxygen` to directly work on the remote file system of my server using SSL. This works fine, it is no problem to open and edit a file and the changes are automatically saved on the server (no need to manually down- or upload anything).

However the "higher" editing features seem not work with using the Remove System Explorer. For example occurrences of variables, methods, etc. are not marked and when trying to use the refactor tool to rename a variable/class/method the following error pops up:

The operation is not applicable to the current selection.
Select a PHP project, source folder, resource, PHP file, class, variable function or parameter.

Also this is done within a
.php 
file within the
<?php
tags, Eclipse seems to be unable to recognize the file as PHP file.

Of course it makes sense, that Eclipse cannot automatically determine which files on the server do belong to the project and which don't. Thus renaming across different files is not possible, but why does renaming within a class or method fails as well?

Is there any way to tell Eclipse which folders and files on the remote system belong to a project to work with the remote files in exactly the same way as on the local system?
Re: How to setup PHP project using Eclipse Remote System Explorer [message #1775683 is a reply to message #1774191] Fri, 03 November 2017 11:27 Go to previous message
Filippo Montano is currently offline Filippo MontanoFriend
Hi, Stefan D,
I had the same problem, I could find no other way than making the project "local".

In fact, in the Remote System Perspective, I've selected the remote folder containing the project and rightclicking it I chose "Create Remote Project".
So, switching back to PHP Perspective, you can see the folder like a local one, with all the charms.

Hope this could help

Filippo
Previous Topic:Line height in editor apparently changing randomly
Next Topic:Running PHP Web App throws WRONG URL
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 14:53:56 GMT 2024