Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » How to stop eclipse re-building other projects when trying to run one project
How to stop eclipse re-building other projects when trying to run one project [message #1773805] Wed, 04 October 2017 20:24 Go to next message
Pasupathi Rajamanickam is currently offline Pasupathi RajamanickamFriend
I'm having annoying issue with eclipse. I have 20+ project in my eclipse (maven, gradle). Which has 10,000+ files in resources path each. I turned off "Build Automatically" in eclipse menu. When I try to run one project's java. It suddenly started doing cleaning workspace for Project1, and copying resource to target directory for project1, and continue to project n then it's starting the application which I intended to start. The beauty is I was trying to start a node application and it's trying to do clean and build for Project 1 to n which are maven or gradle. Is it a defect in eclipse or is there a way to solve this issue?
Re: How to stop eclipse re-building other projects when trying to run one project [message #1773848 is a reply to message #1773805] Thu, 05 October 2017 12:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Willink is currently offline Ed WillinkFriend
Hi

Perhaps https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=521646

Perhaps https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=525364

amongst others

Regards

Ed Willink
Re: How to stop eclipse re-building other projects when trying to run one project [message #1773869 is a reply to message #1773848] Thu, 05 October 2017 18:17 Go to previous message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
I know the issues of lots of unwanted build activity from various setups -- much time wasted this way. Meanwhile I typically achieve best results by *enabling* build automatically and ensuring that it only does what I really need.
In particular, in any maven projects the maven builder typically does more than I need on every save, therefore I remove the maven builder from .project - and ensure that resources are still copied as desired (by removing any exclusions that m2e may have added to .classpath).
At this point, build automatically should be very fast, with minimal transitive rebuilds. If there's anything that needs to be done via maven, I explicitly invoke a maven build for the individual project that needs it when I need it (with build automatically temporarily disabled to be on the safe side).

At the end of it, launching should hardly ever encounter a state where additional building is necessary, voila! :)

As for the particular problem, if you are certain that a launch triggers building of projects that are totally unrelated to any projects referenced by the launch, then this might be a bug worth reporting. Again it will make a difference which builders are involved, since one builder's results may trigger another builder.
Previous Topic:execution order of custom builder(s)
Next Topic:blank window under Javafx
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 18:26:47 GMT 2024