Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Copying projects? (Copy / project versioning )
Copying projects? [message #1773632] Mon, 02 October 2017 01:11 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
I am having little trouble keeping the project "alive".
Not necessarily Eclipse fault, but..
I did try to just "Copy" the Project with some success so I have a fall-back when Eclipse stops behaving.
For example it used to ask if I want to update / implement code changes.
Now id does not and worst yet - it keeps compiling the old code.

However, when I do "Copy" and then try to use the new code I SOMETIME get a dialog asking which source I want to use.

In simplest , not tech language - Eclipse builds original project copy BUT keeps the copied projects in some kinda of matrix so they are STILL depended on each other unless manually selected. But not always !

I know i am no explaining this well so in short - how do use Eclipse itself , not any 3rd party plug-ins, to keep versions of the project organized?
Perhaps just plain "file copy" using OS ?

Re: Copying projects? [message #1773635 is a reply to message #1773632] Mon, 02 October 2017 05:12 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
It's not even clear what type of project and in which language you're developing code. Java? Normally version control is done using something like EGit which is included in the packages out of the box (or CVS or SVN). It's probably best in general to create a new project and copy contents from the old project, not copy the whole project folder. And note that projects have hidden files (i.e., .* files that you can show using the Filters... in the view menu) and that a project always has a .project file which includes the name of that project when it's in the workspace, so copying the whole project folder would copy this file. Using File -> Import... -> General can be used to copy projects from elsewhere into your workspace (or just to link them).

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Project Freezing
Next Topic:Modifying org.eclipse.ui.ide.prefs
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 14:01:14 GMT 2024