Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Epsilon » Setting up EMF/GMF Wizards programmatically
Setting up EMF/GMF Wizards programmatically [message #1773305] Tue, 26 September 2017 09:51 Go to next message
Luca Berardinelli is currently offline Luca BerardinelliFriend
Hi all,
I would like to automate the the steps required to set up EMF/GMF Wizards programmatically.

Is it possible?
I generated a lot of wizards but only few of them may be needed for particular modeling tasks. Therefore, I would like to load them on demand.

A workaround can be the definition of more complex guards. However, it seems that wizards are loaded quite slowly in the Eclipse Context Menu. A dynamic load of that wizards can be a solution.

thanks!

cheers,
Luca

Luca Berardinelli
Re: Setting up EMF/GMF Wizards programmatically [message #1773319 is a reply to message #1773305] Tue, 26 September 2017 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez is currently offline Antonio Garcia-DominguezFriend

Right now EWL finds wizards through plugin.xml elements by file and nsURI - I think we do not have anything for allowing you to specify the logic through which .ewl files should be loaded. This would be sort of an orchestration layer on top of EWL.

Perhaps you'd like to file a feature request with a more specific spec for it that we could evaluate?
Re: Setting up EMF/GMF Wizards programmatically [message #1773322 is a reply to message #1773319] Tue, 26 September 2017 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luca Berardinelli is currently offline Luca BerardinelliFriend
Hi Antonio,
currently I am developing an Epsilon-based framework to support many model management tasks on an annotated UML Model.

I am generating .ewl wizards for each stereotype. Therefore, I obtain as many .ewl files as stereotypes in the applied profiles.

The stereotypes and then .ewl files can be too many.
If you think about MARTE, you might need only a subset of its (sub)profiles to be applied only on certain circumstances (e.g., modeling software entities, then only SRM: modeling platform, then HRM and so on).

In this case, generating a unique .ewl file with all the wizards do not solve the problem because you can save time in setting the wizard (1 file per 1 profile.uml file) but the "Wizards.." menu entry does not work properly (it is very slow or it does not load at all).

In order to solve this issue, I would suggest to implement a kind of dynamic loading of wizards that is influenced by some information (obtained from the model itself in my case).

Can the plugin.xml file be edited and the read again by the modeling environment, in my case Papyrus, while editing the model?

Thanks for your help.
Luca

Luca Berardinelli

[Updated on: Tue, 26 September 2017 13:10]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Setting up EMF/GMF Wizards programmatically [message #1773440 is a reply to message #1773322] Wed, 27 September 2017 21:42 Go to previous message
Antonio Garcia-Dominguez is currently offline Antonio Garcia-DominguezFriend

The plugin.xml file is handled by the Eclipse runtime, not by us - not much we can do there. I see two options:

* Add an extension point to the EWL EMF integration which allows you to provide a Java class with those smarts.
* Find out why it's going so slow and fixing it if possible :-).

I'd go for option 2 right now, as it'd benefit our other users as well. Would it be possible for us to get an example that reproduces the issue, so we could profile it?
Previous Topic:EPSILON Editor Performance Problem: disable online validation?
Next Topic:Sharing UML-RT transformation scripts
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Tue Apr 23 10:33:01 GMT 2024