Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse download is very slow(This has been happening for months, need a fix now ASAP)
Eclipse download is very slow [message #1773209] Sun, 24 September 2017 15:11 Go to next message
Jacob Z is currently offline Jacob ZFriend
Hello. I've been having this problem for months and it still is happening.

When I tried to download Eclipse the first time, I downloaded the installer, and when I hit the install button for Eclipse Java Oxygen it just sat there for 30+ minutes. Many a time it would yield an error message about a slow download from the eclipse servers or mirrors or something. I do not recall the exact message. I am starting a software engineering class (we are a month in) and we will be using JUnit for testing. Unfortunately this problem makes obtaining the JDT difficult or impossible.

I know this is not just unique to me either but I'm surprised there isn't more chatter on the internet about this. I've tried downloading to my Linux box, and the same thing happened. I am on Windows for this. I need this fixed, and I am presuming the rest of my 100+ student class is going to have problems with this too. I am not the professor but that's what I anticipate.

I really need a fix. Please help.
Re: Eclipse download is very slow [message #1773256 is a reply to message #1773209] Mon, 25 September 2017 15:59 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
There have been repeated problems with the download server, though generally when you install with the installer, it will download the artifacts from mirrors local to you and that's unaffected by problems on the Eclipse download server. I know from the stats, that 61,000 people have used the installer for Oxygen to install the Java package on Linux (42,000 the JEE package, and 29,000 the CPP package), so I do expect it generally works. But who knows what kind of network/firewall you're working through. In any case, you can always download a package directly from https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/eclipse-packages/ and distribute that in some other way.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Is it possible to Edit Java Builder ??
Next Topic:JavaFormatter org.in eclipse.jdt.core
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 03:43:02 GMT 2024