Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » C / C++ IDE (CDT) » After importing projects to new system: Program file does not exist
After importing projects to new system: Program file does not exist [message #1773179] Fri, 22 September 2017 19:36 Go to next message
Dáire Fagan is currently offline Dáire FaganFriend
I have been away from CDT for awhile, but I am trying to restore my old projects to a new system, with a fresh install of Eclipse on a new system. I configure the workspace, and when nothing will open, I delete the projects (but leave them on disk) and then manually open projects from file system, this works for Java.

Instead, when I try to run I receive the error:

Launching Variable Assignment has encountered an Error

Program file does not exist
/mnt/freedom/Insync/eclipse_workspace/linux/abc123/B L3.1 Variable Assignment/Debug/L3.1 Variable Assignment not found
/mnt/freedom/Insync/eclipse_workspace/linux/abc123/B L3.1 Variable Assignment/Debug/L3.1 Variable Assignment not found

To try and resolve this, I right click on the source file, and select Build.

Console output:

20:35:05 **** Building Selected Files of configuration Debug for project B L3.1 Variable Assignment ****
Info: Internal Builder is used for build
gcc -O0 -g3 -Wall -c -fmessage-length=0 -o src/variableassignment.o ../src/variableassignment.c 

20:35:05 Build Finished (took 594ms)

When I try to run again I receive the same error.

This is probably something simple I need to change or have forgotten to do to this clean install of Eclipse?

[Updated on: Fri, 22 September 2017 19:38]

Report message to a moderator

Re: After importing projects to new system: Program file does not exist [message #1783023 is a reply to message #1773179] Tue, 06 March 2018 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Missing name Mising name is currently offline Missing name Mising nameFriend
I've seen issues similar to what you describe. Usually when trying to use an Eclipse workspace created in an Eclipse several versions out of date. Have you maintained the workspace directory structure between Eclipse versions?

An Eclipse embedded program directory structure which I have found to work well:

----- Program Directory
|
-------- .metadata (autogenerated, Eclipse workspace configuration)
|
------- project directory
|
-------- .cproject
-------- .project
-------- src directory
------- objs (generated intermediate files)

If you maintain the directory structure, you should be able to use new Eclipse versions to build targets within an old Eclipse workspace. Given the build environment is compatible.

Major System Configuration:
Windows 7 64-bit
Eclipse IDE for C/C++ Developers
v 4.6.2 (Neon)
v 4.7.3a (Oxygen)
v 4.8r (Photon)
v 2018_09

PyDev

MinGW
MSys
GNU Toolchain
Perforce
Re: After importing projects to new system: Program file does not exist [message #1783033 is a reply to message #1783023] Wed, 07 March 2018 01:47 Go to previous message
David VavraFriend
Opening (Importing, really) a project with File --> Open Projects from File System ... should work.
Old projects may need to be upgraded when loading into a newer workspace version.
This normally will happen automatically .
Don't know how successful it will be if it's from a really old version.

When you tried to launch your executable, you discovered it didn't exist.
Your attempt to fix it only compiled the main program
but did not link it to generate an executable.

Try selecting the project in the Project Explorer then
Project --> Set Active to select a build configuration.
May not be needed if there is only one configuration.
Then Project --> Build Project.

This should compile and link the project resulting in an executable.

Previous Topic:[CDT 9.4] Error on building indexes with Boost libraries 1.46
Next Topic:Facing Errors with CISCO EST server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 13:57:01 GMT 2024