Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Oomph » What Oomph features include Updater and Authoring Tool?(Questions regarding Oomph features)
What Oomph features include Updater and Authoring Tool? [message #1772644] Wed, 13 September 2017 13:51 Go to next message
Ge Strait is currently offline Ge StraitFriend
I want my product users to have the Oomph Updater so they get updates applied to my product setup file but not the Oomph Authoring Tool.
What Oomph feature needs to be installed for just the Oomph Updater?
org.elcipse.oomph.setup... ?

I want my product administrators to have Oomph Updater and Oomph Authoring Tool installed so admins can edit my product setup (e.g. add thier own P2 Director task) file and record preferences to add to my product setup file to share with users.
What Oomph features need to be installed for these 2 components?
org.elipse.oomph.setup.feature.group?

Thanks.
Re: What Oomph features include Updater and Authoring Tool? [message #1772697 is a reply to message #1772644] Thu, 14 September 2017 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
If the question is restricted to features, then org.eclipse.oomph.setup.feature.group is the smallest feature they both need. But that feature is defined like this, and perhaps you don't want org.eclipse.oomph.setup.editor in the user product, so you might install just org.eclipse.oomph.setup.core.feature.group and org.eclipse.oomph.p2.feature.group along with the org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui bundle for the user product. The Updater is in org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.
Quote:
<includes
id="org.eclipse.oomph.setup.core"
version="0.0.0"/>

<includes
id="org.eclipse.oomph.p2"
version="0.0.0"/>

<plugin
id="org.eclipse.oomph.setup.editor"
download-size="0"
install-size="0"
version="0.0.0"
unpack="false"/>

<plugin
id="org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui"
download-size="0"
install-size="0"
version="0.0.0"
unpack="false"/>

<plugin
id="org.eclipse.oomph.setup.doc"
download-size="0"
install-size="0"
version="0.0.0"
unpack="false"/>

<plugin
id="org.eclipse.oomph.setup.ui.questionnaire"
download-size="0"
install-size="0"
version="0.0.0"
unpack="false"/>

<plugin
id="org.eclipse.oomph.jreinfo.ui"
download-size="0"
install-size="0"
version="0.0.0"
unpack="false"/>

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Re: What Oomph features include Updater and Authoring Tool? [message #1772828 is a reply to message #1772697] Fri, 15 September 2017 21:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ge Strait is currently offline Ge StraitFriend

Are these statements true?

The "Preference Recorder" button that shows when the Setup Editor is active is used to add preference settings to a Product Setup file.

The preference settings in the Product Setup file control "default" preference values in a product installation?

In an installed product, if a user edit preferences, the Oomph preference recorder (assuming it's enabled) saves the changes in a scoped .setup file (User, Installation, Workspace -- User by default).

The scoped preference settings take precedence over preference settings in the Porduct Setup file.

Basically, the Product Setup file is for setting default preferences.
And preference changes saved to the scoped .setup files (e.g. user.setup) by the Oomph preference recorder as a user makes preference changes take precedence so a user can setup preference however they want.
Re: What Oomph features include Updater and Authoring Tool? [message #1772831 is a reply to message #1772828] Sat, 16 September 2017 02:59 Go to previous message
Ed Merks is currently offline Ed MerksFriend
Yes, preference tasks (and Oomph in general) are intended to give users maximum flexibility. That is after all the intend of preferences independent of Oomph, i.e., the installations (via preference customization) and the bundles (via preference initializers) set preferences to their default/initial state, but the user can of course change them in different scopes, typically per-workspace, but also per-project for preferences that support project scope.

Ed Merks
Professional Support: https://www.macromodeling.com/
Previous Topic:Eclipse IDE for Java Installers issue won't download
Next Topic:Oomph and Target Platforms
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Wed Apr 24 19:09:17 GMT 2024