Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » EMF "Technology" (Ecore Tools, EMFatic, etc)  » [EMF Forms] Performance Issues with Master-Detail controls (Tree and Table)
[EMF Forms] Performance Issues with Master-Detail controls (Tree and Table) [message #1772127] Tue, 05 September 2017 20:20 Go to next message
Andreas Fogados is currently offline Andreas FogadosFriend
Hey everyone,

I have a question concering performance issues with controls using master-detail functionality, meaning Tree-Master-Detail and TableControl with detail editing. I have very large models, meaning up to 15,000 elements within a container element.
I recognized a performance issues starting from about 2,000 elements with TableControl with detail editing and at about 1,000 elements with TMD.
The rendering of TableControl with 5,000 elements for example takes nearly 2 minutes, while the rendering of TMD with 5,000 elements takes nearly 30 minutes.
I analyzed the source-code and it seems that most the time is lost while creating the ViewModelContexts, especially because they are created for each child-element in advance. The troubling part seems to lie within the org.eclipse.emf.ecp.view.internal.context.ViewModelContextImpl$DomainModelContentAdapter.addAdapter() method, which consumes nearly 70% of active CPU-time when rendering the View.

So my question is, if it is somehow possible to force some kind of lazy-loading of ViewModelContexts for child-elements, e.g. load them when the respective master-element is clicked; or only load child-contexts for the first lets say 500 master-elements and others on the fly or in the background. My guess is, that the child-contexts are loaded in advance to perform validation checks. If so, can that be somehow influenced?
Is there anything planned in the future to increase performance in that cases or can I somehow make adaptions to that?
Because the way it is now, it seems that i cannot use the framework, at least not when Master-Detail editing is required.

Best regards and many thanks in advance,
Andreas

[Updated on: Tue, 05 September 2017 21:41]

Report message to a moderator

Re: [EMF Forms] Performance Issues with Master-Detail controls (Tree and Table) [message #1772158 is a reply to message #1772127] Wed, 06 September 2017 07:57 Go to previous message
Jonas Helming is currently offline Jonas HelmingFriend
Hi Andreas,

thank you for your interesting findings. To my knowledge, there is currently no way to influence the creation of child contexts, but of course that is adaptable.
Could you kindly create a Bug Report for this. Additionally kindly let us know, if you are interested in a contribution or sponsoring this fix.

Best regards,
Jonas

--
Jonas Helming

Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/

--
Jonas Helming
Get professional Eclipse developer support:
http://eclipsesource.com/en/services/developer-support/
Previous Topic:[EMF Forms] Reference Selection Popup Behaviour Curious
Next Topic:[Teneo] Problem with Enumerated Key in EMap