Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » Eclipse Oxygen - Debugging Issue
Eclipse Oxygen - Debugging Issue [message #1772065] Tue, 05 September 2017 07:27 Go to next message
Mathias Dolag is currently offline Mathias DolagFriend
Since updating Eclipse from Neon to Oxygen I've an issue with the "F6 - Step Over" function while debugging my code. Each time I'll use "Step Over" and the current line contains a method call I'll get into the method (behaviour of "F5 - Step Into"). The same behaviour occurs when using the "Step over" - button. After stepping into the method I lost connection (e. g. when using "F6 - Step Over" again) to the debugger and an error occurs: "com.sun.jdi.InternalException: Got an error code in reply:35 occurred creating step request.".

A typical code line which causes the mentioned problem looks like:
Collection<Object> coll = getSomething(...);
private Collection<Object> getSomething(...) { ... }

The issues occur with a basic installation of "Eclipse for RCP/RAP Developers". No specific debug settings were made.
Does anyone have the same issue and can give me a hint how to solve this?
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Debugging Issue [message #1772739 is a reply to message #1772065] Thu, 14 September 2017 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Florian Dunz is currently offline Florian DunzFriend
I've got the exact same issue and behaviour. Anyone got any idea why this is happening? Did you maybe fix it somehow?
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Debugging Issue [message #1774552 is a reply to message #1772739] Tue, 17 October 2017 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hans-Peter Lackner is currently offline Hans-Peter LacknerFriend
I had the exact same problem and found the solution...

go to Window - Preferences - Java - Debug and disable "Show method result after a step operation (if supported by the VM; may be slow"
Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Debugging Issue [message #1776150 is a reply to message #1774552] Mon, 13 November 2017 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Eclipse UserFriend
I had the exact same problem and found an answer to your question:

On the page https://www.eclipse.org/eclipse/news/4.7/jdt.php#step-show-methodresult they introduced this new feature. If you disable it, Step Over will work as always ;-)

go to Window - Preferences - Java - Debug and disable "Show method result after a step operation (if supported by the VM; may be slow"

[Updated on: Mon, 13 November 2017 08:33] by Moderator

Report message to a moderator

Re: Eclipse Oxygen - Debugging Issue [message #1778475 is a reply to message #1772065] Thu, 14 December 2017 16:12 Go to previous message
Mathias Dolag is currently offline Mathias DolagFriend
Thanks. Removing this setting has solved the problem.

Maybe it's interesting that this problem only occurred while doing "remote debugging". I forgot to mention this in my original post.
Previous Topic:Why jdt has no PDOM structure like cdt?
Next Topic:Detail Formatter null value
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 12:12:26 GMT 2024