Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » 4DIAC - Framework for Distributed Industrial Automation and Control » Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running(Apps remote-deployed to FORTE on a RPi from 4diac-IDE on a PC close when 4diac-IDE is closed)
Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1771968] Fri, 01 September 2017 18:26 Go to next message
Marc Jakobi is currently offline Marc JakobiFriend
I have successfully managed to deploy FORTE to a Raspberry Pi and remote-deploy my IEC 61499 applications from 4diac-IDE on my PC.
The communication over the network runs smoothly.
However, I just noticed that closing 4diac-IDE on the PC causes the FORTE app to be killed on the RPi. Is there a way to keep the IEC 61499 app running on the RPi without having to keep 4diac-IDE running on the other PC?

Do I have to install 4diac-IDE in Raspbian or is it possible to export the application or system file and deploy it from the terminal?
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1771971 is a reply to message #1771968] Fri, 01 September 2017 20:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alois Zoitl is currently offline Alois ZoitlFriend

Closing 4diac-ide should not kill FORTE, Was monitoring on when you shut down the ide? Did FORTE stop or was there any error message off FORTE?

It should definitely work without installing the ide on your raspi. 4diac should be able to handle many devices like the raspi at the same time in one system configuration.

You can export a device's configuration as boot file and if FORTE finds a bootfile with the name forte.fboot in its execution directory it will load the file's content. With that you can for example add forte to an init script and load an application during raspi boot.
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1771985 is a reply to message #1771971] Sat, 02 September 2017 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was monitoring and probably didn't turn it off before shutting it down.
That must have been it. Thanks for the info!

I will definitely look into the boot file configurations. That sounds interesting.
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1772010 is a reply to message #1771985] Sun, 03 September 2017 18:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hi Marc,

I just did a few tests. unfortunately I currently only have a windows machine for testing. But I was able to close the ide while monitoring and forte didn't stop. Also when I restarted the ide I could re-enable monitoring (with out a new download) and watch the application and saw that the event numbers increased in the meantime as expected. I tried this with 1.8.x and the development branch. If you have time it would be great if you could provide us with more feedback what possible went wrong in your case.
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1772214 is a reply to message #1772010] Wed, 06 September 2017 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It only happened once for me and from that I thought it was always the case. I'll try to reproduce it again in a few days (The Pi is in a different location right now and I just lost the remote access).
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1772347 is a reply to message #1772214] Fri, 08 September 2017 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So I just did a test and managed to get the same results as you.
I was able to restart 4diac while monitoring and start monitoring again without anything going wrong.
But I have observed some strange behaviour of the Rpi. For some reason, whenever I re-compile forte and attempt to transfer it via SmartTTY, the upload fails. I have to delete forte on the Pi and then upload. And then, I have to "chmod" to be able to start it again. This wasn't the case before. At home, I was able to upload and replace and had full permissions without having to do a chmod.
Randomly, downloading the application to forte fails with "INVALID_STATE" return values (which wasn't a problem before). Upon restarting the Rpi, deleting forte and re-uploading it, it works normally again.
So I guess it is either an issue with the Raspbian OS or the local network.
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1772358 is a reply to message #1772347] Fri, 08 September 2017 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message

This is very strange. could it be that there is a second forte running? This is often happening when I get invalid state errors. Is something blocking shutdown of forte?
Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1772455 is a reply to message #1772358] Sun, 10 September 2017 20:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That sounds plausible.
I think I will go for the forte boot files and a startup script and add a watchdog FB to the controller.

Edit:
It doesn't seem like a second instance of FORTE is running. I made sure to kill the process via
kill -9 PID

But if the system has been downloaded once, killing and restarting forte is not enough to download it again. It has to be a reboot.

Edit2:
I just realized what it was. I had forgotten to remove forte from the rc.local startup script. That also explains why uploading new builds failed without deleting the file.

Now it works fine. Thanks for your suggestions!

[Updated on: Mon, 11 September 2017 12:29]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Running IEC 61499 apps on Raspberry Pi without 4diac-IDE running [message #1772511 is a reply to message #1772455] Mon, 11 September 2017 18:33 Go to previous message

Great to here that and thanks for reporting the problems. This is definitly good info for other 4diac users.
Previous Topic:OPC UA in 4DiAC
Next Topic:Read and Write OPC UA variable on a remote server
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 11:37:48 GMT 2024