Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Sirius » Memory leaks in Sirius?
Memory leaks in Sirius? [message #1771830] Thu, 31 August 2017 07:57 Go to next message
mind calm is currently offline mind calmFriend
HI,
I use Xtext integrate with Sirius to test my model. I found a serious problem: each time i edit my model in Xtext editor, and triggers Sirius to reload model by saving model in Xtext editor, the total memory of my eclipse will be increased.

I use MAT (Memory Analyzer) to analyse the process, and it report 3 Suspects:

Problem Suspect 1:
One instance of "org.eclipse.core.commands.operations.DefaultOperationHistory" loaded by "org.eclipse.core.commands" occupies 65,834,888 (11.91%) bytes. The memory is accumulated in one instance of "org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.internal.edit.parts.DDiagramEditPart" loaded by "org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui".

Problem Suspect 2:
One instance of "org.eclipse.emf.workspace.EMFCommandOperation" loaded by "org.eclipse.emf.workspace" occupies 61,916,472 (11.20%) bytes. The memory is accumulated in one instance of "org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.internal.edit.parts.DDiagramEditPart" loaded by "org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui".

Problem Suspect 3:
410 instances of "org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui.tools.api.figure.SVGWorkspaceImageFigure", loaded by "org.eclipse.sirius.diagram.ui" occupy 243,685,336 (44.10%) bytes.

From suspect 3, i can make sure there must be memory leaks, because i only have 100 elements in my model, there should only have 100 SVGWorkspaceImageFigure instance in memory.

Now the problem is how to fix this issue?

My test enviroment:
Sirius (4.1.3) + Xtext (2.10.0) + Eclipse Neon.3 (4.6.3)

Best regards!

by Keep Mind Calm
Re: Memory leaks in Sirius? [message #1771887 is a reply to message #1771830] Thu, 31 August 2017 16:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laurent Fasani is currently offline Laurent FasaniFriend
Hi

Thank you for your analysis. Effectively the SVGWorkspaceImageFigure memory print is particularly significant.
We will look at it. I bet we should reproduce it easily with a Sirius modeling project just making a blank modification in the aird file+save with an external editor. Could you test it with yours?

Just a trivial question: I guess your result analysis does not rely on the fact that the garbage collector had passed or not. It is a real leak and not a memory that could vanish with a garbage collector . Right?

Anyway, I invite you to create a bugzilla ideally with a simple reproducible scenario: https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/enter_bug.cgi?product=Sirius

Regards
Laurent

Laurent Fasani - Obeo
Need training or professional services for Sirius?
http://www.obeodesigner.com/sirius
Re: Memory leaks in Sirius? [message #1771910 is a reply to message #1771887] Fri, 01 September 2017 02:39 Go to previous message
mind calm is currently offline mind calmFriend
Hi, Laurent
I tested "making a blank modification in the aird file+save with an external editor", and I use "jvisualvm" to take snapshot of the eclipse before and after blank modification of aird file, before take snapshot i did garbage collection. And i compare the two snapshots, it shows the allocated objects of SVG*** will be increased, as show blow.
index.php/fa/30559/0/

I report this on bugzilla https://bugs.eclipse.org/bugs/show_bug.cgi?id=521718.

Best regards!

by Keep Mind Calm

[Updated on: Fri, 01 September 2017 05:56]

Report message to a moderator

Previous Topic:Hide node or container by default
Next Topic:Closing a session without a write transaction
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 10:13:33 GMT 2024