Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Language IDEs » Java Development Tools (JDT) » [User Error] Classes not being found by Eclipse Java(External jar files apparently are not found)
[User Error] Classes not being found by Eclipse Java [message #1771811] Wed, 30 August 2017 19:10 Go to next message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend
I'm in the process of setting up Eclipse/Java after having been away from java development for about 3 years.

I have some programs that I can run using a jre, but when I bring the code into Eclipse I am getting hunderds fo errors because classes are not being found. After setting up my project, I edited the project properties by going to java build path/library window and then adding my external jars.

I thought adding these external jars would resolve the missing classes, but it has not. How do I resolve these references in Eclipse?

Thanks in advance for any help. It is appreciated.

Jim A.

[Updated on: Wed, 30 August 2017 21:02]

Report message to a moderator

Re: Classes not being found by Eclipse Java [message #1771812 is a reply to message #1771811] Wed, 30 August 2017 19:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stephan Herrmann is currently offline Stephan HerrmannFriend
First: typically, Java projects find their libraries by the help of a build tool like gradle or maven, for which Eclipse plugins exist, that pass that information on to JDT.

As you are manually handling external jars I assume you do not use such a build tool, right?

In that case, the Java Build Path > Library tab is perfectly suited for your task, and from the information you provide, I cannot tell what went wrong.
The first thing you may want to check: in the Package Explorer, do you see a node "Referenced Libraries"? Inside, can you drill down to the classes that are reported as missing?
Re: Classes not being found by Eclipse Java [message #1771817 is a reply to message #1771812] Wed, 30 August 2017 21:00 Go to previous message
Jim Anderson is currently offline Jim AndersonFriend

First, you are correct, I am not using gradle nor maven. The build system that I use places all my shared jar files into an external library that I am trying to reference.

I looked at the Package Explorer as you suggested and when I expanded the 'Referenced Libraries', I was able to see the external jars. When I looked into a few of the jars, I was able to see the classes that I expected.

I started looking at the details of the error messages and most of them are of the same variety. I'm going to close this thread as 'user error' and open a new thread where the topic is more inline with what my real issue is.

Thank you for getting me one step closer.

Jim
Previous Topic:ECJ error in overload resolution, but not with javac
Next Topic:Monitoring threads
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:23:20 GMT 2024