Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Modeling » Papyrus » SysML behaviour modeling in Papyrus(Beginner questions regarding SysML diagrams and elements)
SysML behaviour modeling in Papyrus [message #1771389] Thu, 24 August 2017 15:05 Go to next message
Ursula Kirchgaessner is currently offline Ursula KirchgaessnerFriend
Hello, I am new to SysML and trying to set up a model in Papyrus. I am having difficulties finding the best way to define elements, because the notation in Papyrus seems not to correspond to the standard as I understand it from the book "A practical guide to SysML" by Friendenthal et al. (2009) and from the OMG standard Version 1.5.

I am trying to model object flow between actions (as described in section 8.5 of the book). Questions:
- In order to define the hierarchy of activities in a block definition diagram, how can I create <<activity>> blocks (as shown in the standard: table 11.3 p. 117)? Do I need to define a dedicated profile myself?
- Once I have defined the activity blocks, I indend to specify their behavior (in this case: an activity) as operations, which I detail in appropriate diagrams (activity, state). Is this what I should do?
- According to the standard, the call behavior actions in the activity diagram should show "action name : behavior name" and it should show a fork symbol in the lower right corner. I never get any colon nor fork in the diagram. Is this a question of settings? If yes, how can I "correct" this? If no, what is the logic in Papyrus? I suspect, I am not setting the right values and links in the properties of the action.
- Finally, I would like to create sequence and package diagrams, but I cannot find this type of diagram in the list. How can I model sequences? Should I use the interaction overview diagram for the package diagram?

I attach the screenshot of my minimal example.

Apart from my questions, any comment that could help me to better understand and use this tool is welcome!
Re: SysML behaviour modeling in Papyrus [message #1771394 is a reply to message #1771389] Thu, 24 August 2017 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Raphael Faudou is currently offline Raphael FaudouFriend
Hi Ursula,

- In order to define the hierarchy of activities in a block definition diagram, how can I create <<activity>> blocks (as shown in the standard: table 11.3 p. 117)? Do I need to define a dedicated profile myself?

That feature is not yet supported in Papyrus. In block diagram currently you can only put blocks and not activities (even it is allowed by the specification).

- Once I have defined the activity blocks, I intend to specify their behavior (in this case: an activity) as operations, which I detail in appropriate diagrams (activity, state). Is this what I should do?
Simplest way is to create an activity diagram below your activity and then get immediate navigation from activity to its associated behavior.

- According to the standard, the call behavior actions in the activity diagram should show "action name : behavior name" and it should show a fork symbol in the lower right corner. I never get any colon nor fork in the diagram. Is this a question of settings? If yes, how can I "correct" this? If no, what is the logic in Papyrus? I suspect, I am not setting the right values and links in the properties of the action.
Well if you really use "CallBehaviorAction" then you have to define the "behaviour" property for the action by referencing another activity. And "fork" symbol should appear.

- Finally, I would like to create sequence and package diagrams, but I cannot find this type of diagram in the list. How can I model sequences? Should I use the interaction overview diagram for the package diagram?

Those diagrams are not "SysML specific" diagrams. They should be available from model explorer or top menu.
You will get sequence diagram available from an interaction element.
Package diagram should be available from "model" (root) element or from any package element.

best regards
raphaël
Re: SysML behaviour modeling in Papyrus [message #1771422 is a reply to message #1771394] Fri, 25 August 2017 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Daniel Sicard is currently offline Daniel SicardFriend
Hi Ursula,

If you are using SysML 1.4 for Papyrus 3.0.0 Oygen (0.11.0.201708120140) then the sequence diagram is not accessible.
This version of SysML 1.4 is using the new Architecture Context / Architecture Viewpoints mechanism when creating a new model. So when the Architecture Context SysML 1.4 is selected at model creation time then the sequence diagram is not available when you right click on the model (root) element or on an interaction element. This was also the case for the package diagram but at some point got fixed. If you do a check update and if you have the following update site in your installation:

https://hudson.eclipse.org/papyrus/view/Sysml/job/papyrus-sysml-oxygen/lastStableBuild/artifact/releng/org.eclipse.papyrus.sysml14.p2/target/repository/

you should get a version of SysML 1.4 that have the package diagram available. However, the sequence diagram is not yet available.

If you absolutely need the sequence diagram you will have to revert to Eclipse Neon and associated Papyrus (2.0.3) and SysML 1.4 (0.10.1). This is what I have to do because I do need the sequence diagram.

Daniel
Re: SysML behaviour modeling in Papyrus [message #1771455 is a reply to message #1771422] Fri, 25 August 2017 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to know, thanks! I installed the update, now I have at least the package diagram.
Re: SysML behaviour modeling in Papyrus [message #1771465 is a reply to message #1771455] Fri, 25 August 2017 10:16 Go to previous message
Hi Raphaël,

Well if you really use "CallBehaviorAction" then you have to define the "behaviour" property for the action by referencing another activity. And "fork" symbol should appear.
This is exactly what I did, but the fork symbol did not appear. I have now installed the Neon version and it works. So it is the same problem as for the diagrams.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Ursula
Previous Topic:Model Explorer doesn't work with color themes and affects Properties view
Next Topic:How to wrap long class name
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:53:11 GMT 2024