Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Eclipse Projects » Target Communication Framework » TCF debugging embeded code (Select Processes )
TCF debugging embeded code [message #1771159] Tue, 22 August 2017 14:59 Go to next message
Anne Creek is currently offline Anne CreekFriend
I am trying to configure C/C++ Attach to Application and do not understand what Process I am suppose to select.
Help really does not explain what Eclipse calls "process".
Is there a resource which could help me to understand this?
I am still Googling , but so far not much luck

• Attachment: Issue.pdf
    (Size: 192.09KB, Downloaded 211 times)
Re: TCF debugging embeded code [message #1771182 is a reply to message #1771159] Tue, 22 August 2017 16:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
Hello,

From the screenshot, it looks like your TCF Agent is not connected. So the process list is from your local host, and not from the TCF target.

There are several ways debugging remote TCF targets. One of them uses the "Debug > New ... > TCF" Launch Configuration as entrypoint. The other method uses TCF Target Explorer.

You seem to have installed the Target Explorer. So from your connect dropdown in the toolbar you'd want to connect, then "Dropdown > Show Connection Details" and in the editor that opens up, switch to the "Process Monitor" tab. From there you can attach.

If you don't get a Process Monitor Tab, your remote target might not expose a process monitor service (may happen on embedded bare metal targets). In that case, try creating a TCF Launch Configuration and work your way from there.

HTH,
Martin
Re: TCF debugging embeded code [message #1771263 is a reply to message #1771182] Wed, 23 August 2017 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin,
many thanks. I need to pay attention to "configuration" - I was under the impression that "Run" TCF Agent will make the connection.
Now if yu coudl hel me translate this to p[lain English I would appreciate that:
What the hell is "select image file for the process "
I know what file is
I have no idea what "image file" is
I have some clue about "process" and I would assume it have to select it BEFORE I tell it what "image file" to use.

Since it appears I cannot attach file here I'll try to copy it.

Re: TCF debugging embeded code [message #1771767 is a reply to message #1771263] Wed, 30 August 2017 09:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Martin Oberhuber is currently offline Martin OberhuberFriend
"image file" is the exectuable of your process.

I thought it is general language among programmers, talking about "the executable image".
Re: TCF debugging embeded code [message #1773511 is a reply to message #1771767] Thu, 28 September 2017 17:59 Go to previous message
OK, why don't they call it "executable " if that what it is?

Now how do I select it?
I can connect to ARM and SOMETIME select directory / file.

Or better yet - does it have to exist on the target?
"Normal" programmer would let the file-> open to create new file.
This seems to be a problem in TCF / Eclipse. (User / passwords get in way !)

Sometime TCF will not "Run" if configured wrong, but sometime Eclipse will mysteriously run plain "debug" configuration instead of valid but faulty TCF configuration.

I wish there was a way to trace TCF from "Run" click.
Previous Topic:TCF Agent
Next Topic:TCF Test Echo not stop
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 19:57:42 GMT 2024