Skip to main content

Eclipse Community Forums
Forum Search:

Search      Help    Register    Login    Home
Home » Newcomers » Newcomers » Is Eclipse RCP still relevant or popular in 2017?
Is Eclipse RCP still relevant or popular in 2017? [message #1771127] Tue, 22 August 2017 10:08
Wet Feet is currently offline Wet FeetFriend
Not my intention to start any flame war. Just want to solicit genuine opinions from those who have experienced Eclipse RCP first hand.

I used Eclipse RCP about a decade ago for a project, then moved on to other jobs and have never touched it since.

Fast forward to 2017. I am again revisiting the technologies that people use for building software. Today, as I look around, there are more momentum in JavaScript, Node.js, Electron and nw.js. More specifically, it seems to me more and more developers are reusing their JavaScript skill to create cross platform rich client desktop applications using Electron and NW.js.

And I do wonder whether it is wise to stick to Eclipse RCP or the industry has moved to something better. I hope to hear from real Eclipse RCP users and developers here what made you choose or stick to Eclipse RCP.

If one is to start a new rich client project today and given a free choice barring any legacy issues that constrain your options, would you choose something else instead?
Previous Topic:Unable to install Eclipse EE for multiusers on win 10
Next Topic:Eclipse E4 RCP - P2 Provisioning
Goto Forum:

Current Time: Thu Apr 18 08:21:35 GMT 2024